Sports Authority - TSA | Glassdoor

"TSA"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The work is great. Merchandising, selling, etc. on the sales floor is a breath of fresh air compared to the way other places do things. You're encouraged to sell, but never pushed to lie to the customer to make the sale. For the most part people realize that earning customer loyalty by giving them pressure-free help is much better in the long run than trying to hustle people to make a quick buck.

Cons

Starting out pay for a manager is 12.65, which is low. I'd make more as an assistant manager at the local Taco Bell than do as an Operations Manager here. As an Ops Manager I make the "manager's minimum wage" of 12.65, and our hardlines manager makes 16.00 an hour, which doesn't sit well. (For the non-TSA folks, an ops manager is generally kind of an assistant store manager, and usually considered a promotion from managing hardlines/softlines, so for the ops position to be paid significantly less money than the positions below it is a slap in the face.) There is also a startlingly huge amount of internal theft, and an equally startling amount of apathy towards it. Our store manager refuses to fire anyone for stealing, no matter how ironclad the evidence against the thief is, which unsurprisingly encourages theft even more. However I hope that that reaction is only in the one store and that most store managers would not react that way.

Advice to Management

I don't have much in the way of advice. If they want to increase sales, they need to increase the amount spent on advertising. If they want to increase happiness and loyalty among the store-level associates and managers, they need to raise their pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

"It's a crapshoot"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

a nice "cost +10%" discount for store management and above.
    Great people, who are fun to work with
    flexible time-off

Cons

It all depends on your reporting structure. There are still some managers out there that understand that their people are their best asset--and show it on a routine basis. Unfortunately, there is a mix of burnouts--people that have been working here for 10+ years at the same level and sometimes at the same store--and a bunch of newly promoted managers who haven't been properly trained. These associates sometimes mishandle certain situations and end up fostering bad morale in stores.

Advice to Management

The single biggest thing that TSA can do to improve is INVEST in professional management training and not rely on an "each one teach one" philosophy. The second would be to allow store-level management more flexibility in making decisions within their 4 walls--we shouldn't have to jump throw 6 hoops, 3 phone calls, 10 emails and wait 2 weeks to get something simple done. Lastly associate pay could be better--it would improve retention, and allow us to recruit better salespeople.

"The job itself is wonderful, the company focus, district and store management SUCKS!!!"

Current Employee - Lead in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lead in Orlando, FL

Pros

Love the job, the customers, and the merchandise. Pay is ok, and benefit package is good when we are allowed to take advantage of it.

Cons

I haven't heard management mention "sales" in a year and a half. All the company cares about is selling insoles and extended coverage plans, ECP's. If they could sell an ECP on an insole, they would get rid of everything else. They haven't promoted one person in district 24 in over a year. They keep bringing in manager after manager from the outside. Almost every one of them has failed miserably. The DM doesn't believe in promotions. Are you telling me not one single Co-manager in the district or region is not worthy of promotion? If not, why are they co-managers. Also, is there NOT ONE department lead, 4-5 per store, that is not good enough to promote to assistant manager? Again, if not, they should not be leads. We recieve PDO's, paid days off, instead of holidays and sick days. Unfortunately, although corporate has sent memos saying management cannot decline reasonable requests, our manager will not allow them. These are part of our overall compensation package and are actually published and mailed to us once per year. It is then illegal to deny these.

Advice to Management

My advice for many of them would be to find another line of work. Second, if upper management is not aware of the way things are being run at store level, they need to keep a tighter rain on the regional and district managers.