Sports Authority - Great summer job | Glassdoor

"Great summer job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, overall ease of job, great people to work with, pleasant management. It's the perfect summer job in college or fresh out, when you're looking for a "real job"

Cons

An ape could be a sales associate there, and for the most part, the people they hire have IQs at that level. Your managers are basically glorified babysitters and spend their day patrolling teenagers to get off their cell phones or stop smoking cigarettes on the loading dock.

Advice to Management

Hold your employees more accountable for their mistakes. I remember seeing one employee constantly reprimanded for the same thing, but because there were no repercussions, they contented to do it.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

1. "Read on"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Denver, CO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Denver is a cool city. Lots to do.
    Very cool brands to work with. Easy to get excited about categories.
    Ok place to get the resume started right out of college if it is your only option.

Cons

Culture is not so good. Lot of turnover....not the good kind either. Worked for 3 VP in 3 years.....6 cross functional team members in one supporting role during that time.
    Management does not pull in the same direction. Store OPS runs the building. Many of the teams are actually working against each other.
    Questionable Company ethics. I am no saint but I could not do what many of my peers where asked to do. In one case I chose another path.

Advice to Management

The direction needs to come from the top and be one voice. Too many agendas. Dicks/ Academy and on line are winning share in a space that is not really growing.
    Leadership should also take a more broad/ longer point of view. Never worked anywhere as a merchant were you looked at your business in such a short sighted way ( 6 month business plans). It is as if no one can see beyond that time span. That was scary as a buyer.

2. "This is the worst job I have ever had, they are horrible to employees!!"

I worked at Sports Authority part-time

Pros

The discount maybe, but they sell at manufactured prices.

Cons

They treat their employees extremely horrible, but they expect you to give great customer service, it was a horrible environment to be in, and management are inequipped to deal with customers, and their main focus is on sales and signing people up for their "Rewards Card". Surprised they're still running with that kind of focus.