Sports Authority - Very numbers driven | Glassdoor

"Very numbers driven"

Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun coworkers, easy to get time off.

Cons

You are looked at as the numbers and sales you hit.

Advice to Management

Be More forgiving if numbers are down for just one day

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

1. "Great people to work with. Manipulative management"

Current Employee - Team Sports Associate in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Team Sports Associate in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are awesome! The pay was above minimum wage at the time starting ($9 per hour). Also get an awesome discount which is equivalent on average of 40%-45% off.

Cons

The store manager, at least at my store, is unorganized and manipulative. He puts outs a schedule each week with random hours essentially. Haven't had a consistent schedule since I started. He also keeps asking me to do other people's work, but not get the equivalent pay for it. Also seems to be severely under staffed on busy days.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like stupid grunts and if they are going to do more work outside of what they were hired for, compensate them for it. Also, look for store managers who actually have a 4 year college degree.

"Disgraceful company 5yrs of my life I won't get back."

Former Employee - Lead Price Audit Control in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Price Audit Control in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees discount and some real nice people colleagues and customers.

Cons

Poor poor amateur pathetic no vision 1980s style ridiculous corporation and management, dm's even worse. They waste millions of dollars on antiquated policy and procedures.

Advice to Management

Reality check, your managers and store managers are a joke highly incompetent. Your micromanagement has gone to a hyper paranoid state. Advice get back to basics focus on employees their moral and simple quality customer service no b.s. loyalty cards no metrics at all. Just a monetary sales target with commission to reward top performers, empower employees with more responsibly and praise them every day. Get rid of the poor performers and management that can not manage or develop people. Shame on you for the way you have let this company slide into decline,I have never seen so many fantastic happy people, have their souls and life sucked out of them. It was so depressing to see that's why I left.I was one of the most hard working dedicated conscientious employees they had,and I was made to feel worthless.. :( ps I am very happy in my new job where they appreciate me.