Sports Direct - Akin to working in a sweatshop | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

"Akin to working in a sweatshop"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience. Hours were flexible, so I could fit the job around college without it infringing upon my work.

Cons

Zero hour contract meant that sometimes, I'd only get 3 hours per week. As I had a car, earning £80 in a month was not really beneficial. The managers were nice people in my store, but there was a distinct lack of organisation. For example, most of the store's staff would be placed on tills, leaving me on the shopfloor on my own, and sometimes I was expected to split the queues (which made little sense to me, as I was not working anywhere near them). One of the supervisors was highly unprofessional, refusing to let me go home until ridiculous requests were fulfilled and behaved in a very condescending manner towards me. I didn't really feel welcomed by most of my colleagues, as they seemed to look down on me for having ambition and not doing their work on top of mine. Stock was blocking fire exits and the early morning exit, a severe health and safety risk. Metal delivery cages were left on the shop floor during trading hours, which meant that certain items couldn't be retrieved for customers. The radio communication system is good in theory; however, there were not enough to go around, and you were often verbally abused if you did not answer straight away (dealing with a customer means, to me, they are the priority). Staff room was the shoe store cupboard, whereby broken chairs and over-flowing bins were kept. There were no opportunities for progression either, and the pay, although minimum wage, was not good, particularly if you had bills to pay. Staff discount apparently only applied on Thursdays, and even on this day, I never received my discount.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the effectiveness of the zero hour contracts. Send in Regional members of staff to carry out the 'mystery shopper' task , because I don't think it is quite understood how poor the working conditions actually are.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct

"The worse company I have ever been with"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First job, general customer service skills

Cons

0 hour contracts, pay was the same even when i became a senior member of staff. I ended up working 18 hour days sometimes whilst doing stock take, in a non-air conditioned shop. Managers swore all the time, once held a pair of scissors up to me. i decided to leave the shop that day raised a formal grievance with no out come. I then decided to hand my notice in as I was given no opportunity to progress

Advice to Management

Go undercover review all your stores. make your work place a better environment no need for so much stock making you feel claustrophobic. Train all your managers on complaints handling and how to treat customers fairly.

"Poorly run store, however good opportunities"

Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Cons

career development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works