Sports Direct - Frustrating and stressful. | Glassdoor

"Frustrating and stressful."

Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)
Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The main pros are the people. Some of the people you meet in the store are great fun to be with and make the working hours easier to bear. I also feel like my own confidence shot up since I started working with the company.

Cons

I could only mention a few. But the main con is your performance (and in my case hours) being measured purely on KPI's which are little add-ons that you have to offer every customer. If you don't sell enough You'll be told your performance is poor and your not doing your job. Even if you put 110% effort in, if people don't agree to buying your add-ons, you will be told you are doing a poor job. and chances are having your hours cut, which brings me to my next point:

0 hour contracts. I'm not guaranteed any hours at all from week to week. While the contract can be helpful for students who need additional time off, for people needing a job to make money/support others. It's a rocky road without a guaranteed income. One month I can make £600 easily. The next month I may be struggling with only £300.

And this is more personal, but being here for 4-5 years and I've not moved through the company AT all. I'm stuck being a CAST member unless I leave. I haven't been given any opportunities and no-one seems to want to give me them.

Advice to Management

Stop with the push on KPI's! Having them is a good idea, but the way they are being pushed is just makes work life stressful for both CAST and management. I know people are putting the effort you want them to put in and then not getting results, being passed off as poor performance just because customers didn't want a magazine. If it gets to the point when people are always leaving the work place depressed and not wanting to come to work, there is something really wrong.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct

1. "Zero hour contract the problem"

Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No chance of company going bust, friendly people.

Cons

zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment. Have to constantly upsell the dam bag.Customers aren't the best. Received a lot of abuse, store wasn't really that organised

Advice to Management

Get rid of zero hour contracts. They are awful. Try and create a more friendly atmosphere. No team building whatsoever so it was very every man for himself.

2. "Worse company ever"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. The only decent thing was the other people were nice and a made some friends. But that really does not out weigh the cons.

Cons

Everything. Management was pervy and sleazy and just disgusting. Perved on customers and the workers. I was quite young when I worked there so I really didn't know how to handle the situation. Made you stay way past your shift without paying you. Treated you really bad, couldn't even speak to your co-workers. Just a disgraceful company. I would never ever tell anyone to apply there. The pay isn't even worth it, esp if you are under 18.

Advice to Management

From what I see when I go into the store, its still the same, workers looked stress and unhappy. Managers need to be trained better and not take advantage of young staff. Also the pay is rubbish so that should be fixed. And clothes are hung too high up.