Sports Direct - Slave Drivers Rather Than Team Leaders | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

"Slave Drivers Rather Than Team Leaders"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)
Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sports Direct can be a chilled environment when it is not busy

Cons

Managers appear to be hired based on their ability to talk to young staff like idiots. It is understandable that the store has targets that we must meet, but instead of talking to us like human beings, we have managers who talk with quite DE motivational words/tone of voice. There are regular upsets because of the managers who use their authority to put others down.
Customers will be customers, but Sports Direct has unreal amounts of reasons to make a customer shout in your face, especially if you're a girl.

Advice to Management

Talking to someone like a lesser being is not beneficial to the company as sending your till staff to be the face of Sports Direct after dehumanising them won't paint a pretty picture of customer service.
A lot of you need to sort out your inner demons because from my experience, the only superiors that have a problem with the world are the ones who evidently have no self-respect; through lack of hygiene, physical hindrances and so on.
It should also be noted that the role of a manager, although being there to keep the staff in order, should create a positive atmosphere in order to motivate people to be a team through respect for the superiors. No one respects our superiors a part from one or two blue-shirts, basically because the negativity is completely uncalled for and over exaggerated, and is a sloppy and unethical way to get where the company is now.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct

1. "Sportsdirect.com UK's number one!"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hartlepool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to have a life such as going to uni and a job with a reasonable pay at the side. Also helps with confidence when working with customers and making friends with other employees.

Cons

0hr contract meaning you never know if your going to be work all week or even just one day and KPI's having to get a certain percentage everyday.

Advice to Management

More to hours to the staff who make the effort instead of sharing them out with employers who stand around.

2. "Frustrating and stressful."

Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The main pros are the people. Some of the people you meet in the store are great fun to be with and make the working hours easier to bear. I also feel like my own confidence shot up since I started working with the company.

Cons

I could only mention a few. But the main con is your performance (and in my case hours) being measured purely on KPI's which are little add-ons that you have to offer every customer. If you don't sell enough You'll be told your performance is poor and your not doing your job. Even if you put 110% effort in, if people don't agree to buying your add-ons, you will be told you are doing a poor job. and chances are having your hours cut, which brings me to my next point:

0 hour contracts. I'm not guaranteed any hours at all from week to week. While the contract can be helpful for students who need additional time off, for people needing a job to make money/support others. It's a rocky road without a guaranteed income. One month I can make £600 easily. The next month I may be struggling with only £300.

And this is more personal, but being here for 4-5 years and I've not moved through the company AT all. I'm stuck being a CAST member unless I leave. I haven't been given any opportunities and no-one seems to want to give me them.

Advice to Management

Stop with the push on KPI's! Having them is a good idea, but the way they are being pushed is just makes work life stressful for both CAST and management. I know people are putting the effort you want them to put in and then not getting results, being passed off as poor performance just because customers didn't want a magazine. If it gets to the point when people are always leaving the work place depressed and not wanting to come to work, there is something really wrong.