Springleaf Finance - A good stepping stone to the financial industry at best.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Springleaf Finance

"A good stepping stone to the financial industry at best...."

Pros

Great enivorment to learn basic skills for entry level employees and recent college graduates.

Good benefits (while with AIG)

A good path to gain manager experience in a fair amount of time.

Cons

Depending on which district or division you are in, can be VERY unprofessional. Lots of personal attacks and conficits. Many decisions are made for personal reasons. Favoritism is very relevant. Want to move up? You better be your district manager's best friend. Lots of gossip. Lots of unethical methods used. Upper management is clueless. They do not listen to employees who do the work that they bonus of off. They hide facts from employees as well. More concerned with finding reasons to fire employees than to help them. Upper management is horrible about micromanagement as well. They like to tell you how to do your job although they are clueless how to do it. Incentives are very limited for employees who produce.

Advice to Management

Let the branch managers who you promoted run their offices as see fit, as long as the follow basic policies. Demographics based on branch locations are very different. One method does not work for every office. Also, create better incentives for employees who produce. Managers who can be lazy are awarded the fruits of their employees hard labor.

Other Employee Reviews for Springleaf Finance

1. "This job made me wish I would get fired."

Former Employee - Financial Representative (Branch Manager Trainee)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative (Branch Manager Trainee)

Pros

Pay is ok.

It's an entry level job for those just out of college.

Benefits are ok.

Decent amount of vacation time for an entry level job.

Working here helped me decide to go to graduate school for a career change (one of the best decisions I ever made. That's a pro, right?)

Cons

Managers can be incompetent.

Goals are often impossible to meet, especially in an office with cut throat coworkers stealing loans from you. I met my goal twice in the two years I worked at American General In a small community like the one where I worked, there will only be so many people who will take the product American General sells and even fewer of them would qualify even under the company's lower lending standards (compared to banks).

American General provides no training at all.

There is little room for advancement. If you do get a promotion to a Branch Manager, you have to work at least 10 years to advance to a District Manager position.

Managers micromanage everything. I had a sick stomach once and the manager was keeping track of the amount of time I spent in the bathroom. Yeah, seriously.

I worked in an office where I would be the only one collecting accounts in the field at the end of the month.

At the end, I didn't care at all and would have welcomed being fired. Thank God I took the GRE, went to grad school, got my masters, and now have a job I love.

Advice to Management

Micromanage less. Set more realistic goals and make better loans, especially in a down economy. Actually provide some training to employees. Respect your employees. Pay a little better.

2. "okay. upper management expects more than anyone could produce"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

great benefits, great resume builder

Cons

upper management thinks their god and you should always be doing better than you are

Advice to Management

get off your high horse. your not that great.