Sprint - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Former Technician in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Former Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sprint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

affordable benefits
great perks
comfortable office space

Cons

some favoritism
not much feedback from performance reviews

Advice to Management

listen more to employee feedback

Other Employee Reviews for Sprint

1. "Hard to keep up morale when you can be so easily replaced"

Former Employee - Advanced Technical Support Agent
    Former Employee - Advanced Technical Support Agent

I worked at Sprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

6 weeks paid training
    non-existent dress code
    free phone plan
    co-workers kept morale up
    benefits were nice and pay was alright

Cons

* I am sharing my personal story and nothing more. The purpose of this is not to rag on Sprint or slander the company. I am simply stating the facts about what happened to me during my time of employment. Thank you.*

I worked with Sprint for a total of 1 1/2 years. I had excellent stats the whole time I was there, but some of the requests people came up with were not resolved due to the outlandish nature of the request itself. I still made it though as one of the best reps on the two teams I was on, and even worked as a SME. It started out alright, but soon turned into a nightmare. To start with customers are able to scream, rage, cuss, and call you a piece of dirt and you're just supposed to smile and keep trying to assist them through the chaos. You can even get fired if a customer hangs up in anger and you don't call them back to try and continue the call. But that's only the beginning.

You're not allowed to have anything out on the floor when taking calls, even though our call center was number 1 for the months of December and January. The ability to move up was seriously limited due to a lot of favoritism that would occur between team leads and other co-workers. The main issue I had with Sprint though was the fact that they did not hold up their end of the contract of what was to be provided as far as reasonable accommodation is concerned.

I had a lot of medical issues that required surgery. These were affecting my attendance. I received assistance through FMLA and Short Term Disability and was told that my job was "not in jeopardy."
    My first surgery was not as successful as hoped and so my attendance continued to have issues, but I was always told there wasn't a problem. An orthopedic chair was prescribed by the doctor that was never provided which continued to make my ability to sit and work all day far more difficult. I was in a lot of pain, and still am trying to figure out the best way to fix my issues. When my FMLA ran out I was told to try and take as little time off as possible since my attendance points were never fixed after my time before surgery and during recovery. This caused me to have to use FMLA for any absence...medical related or not, and I was encouraged by my supervisor to use this method. My supervisor was by far one of the most caring and kind individuals I met in my time working there and supported me throughout my surgery and medical issues. It wasn't soon after my FMLA ran out that things took a very bad change. When I was out sick on a doctor approved consecutive absence a termination notice was sent out to my home which I was not expecting. Based on what I was told from my supervisors I thought my job was fine, but apparently it wasn't. I tried to appeal my termination and HR ignored me for two weeks before getting back to me and letting me know the process. I found out that the paperwork for appeal had to be turned in ten days after my termination preventing me from getting my job back. It's hard not to think that this was on purpose.

Fair warning: this is a difficult company to work for, the pay does not make up for the stress and mental wear and tear you can experience. I knew some co-workers who had to start seeing doctors because they were having issues with depression and anxiety which required medication, also there is absolutely no way you can trust what you're being told by upper management in my experience. My immediate supervisor (or team lead) though was an excellent leader and supportive person. I could go on about a lot of things but basically the job started out pretty good out of training, but upper management's true colors began to shine through pretty quickly afterwards.

Advice to Management

At this point your employers are your lifeboat. Treat them well, and they will do their best to accommodate customers. Your treatment of employees with disabilities is horrid and I honestly think will catch up with you one day. Along with that the policies constantly changing and feeling you can be replaced at every turn makes it a very hostile work environment. Employees are customers too, and I know that it wasn't long before I was thinking of going with a different carrier when I found another job. If you make some serious changes to the way you handle these issues, then maybe there's still hope. I wish no ill will towards any of you. You were just following protocol and policy, but a little humanity and "empathy" goes a long way. You ask us to show it towards the customers, why wouldn't you show it to your employers?

2. "Technical Support"

Former Employee - Senior Tech Support Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Tech Support Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sprint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to utilize skills and learn current and new voice and date technologies.
    Diversified opportunities to make a lot of money.

Cons

If you want to make a lot of money, you need to be able to sell. You do this after you fix the problem, which sometimes does not go over well if the customer is mad or ina hurry. Sprint did not make network techs sell until a few years ago. A lot of the techs quit and went to Verizon when that happened.

You are heavily monitored and often supervised by people who are not educated in the technical arena.

There is a high turnover and, at times, mandatory overtime. It is easy to get burnout when this happens.

Advice to Management

Value people more.