Square - Amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Square

"Amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing environment, very talented peers, good compensation packages (equity heavy) and very rewarding work.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so sometimes there is the feeling of us being stretched too thin working on too many things at the same time.

Advice to Management

More clarity around what the focus should be and what projects to cut would be beneficial for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Square

1. "Best of both worlds"

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Square is the perfect balance between large, established company and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants startup. It has the culture and energy of the latter and the perks and momentum of the former. Working with this many smart, passionate, well-meaning people is a true gift.

Cons

In the past things were a bit chaotic -- they still are, but we've gotten better at focus. We could still do more.

Advice to Management

Letting poor performers go is hard. We need to learn to be better.

2. "Smart people, meaningful product, fast growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Square's a great place to get your career started as a software engineer. There's a pretty high standard of code quality, good test coverage, great knowledge sharing (lots of pair programming), and it's still pretty easy to get your ideas on the table and find yourself in a position to build them out. The office is gorgeous, there are tons of perks (massage therapists & chiropractors onsite, coffee bar with baristas, cafeteria with a pizza oven for breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc), and the people are all super friendly & great to work with. The thing that really sets Square apart from others is that it both has soul as a company, and a viable business model. It's easy to see your work out in the real world, and feels validating to talk with people using the actual product.

Cons

We seem to go through an inordinate amount of re-orgs, though perhaps that's normal for a company that's growing as rapidly as Square has over the last few years. With the fast growth, it's easy to slip between the cracks, so you have to keep on your toes to move with the company.

Advice to Management

We put a lot of emphasis on "focus", but I'd challenge us to really think about what that means. It's difficult to focus in on product direction when the company is growing and changing at such a fast pace. We are doing too many things. Let's slow down, stop re-orging, and focus on the product.