St. Joseph Health System - Lacks Core Values | Glassdoor

"Lacks Core Values"

Former Employee - Mid Management in Orange, CA
Former Employee - Mid Management in Orange, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Patients, benefits and many of my coworkers were a plus!

Cons

Administration and site management fail the employees. The organization states itself as a Catholic Organization with Core Values of Service, Justice, Excellence and Dignity. Its a shame that these traits are no longer incorporated into the treatment of employees. Since they've moved most of the Nuns out and "corporate" moved in the organization has lost the original focus intended by the Nuns. Its a shame.

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees are a huge reason the organization function. You may recognize 4 people every year for the "values", but the morale remains low for the other 364 days of the year. Show your workers that you value what they do and support them when they come to you with issues. Don't sweep them under the carpet and pretend issues don't exist. This new breed of administration coming in has lost the human aspect.

Other Employee Reviews for St. Joseph Health System

1. "Good people, slow progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the employees have become very close, and it's a good sized hospital. Not too large, but also not cramped. They have done a lot of renovations to the main hospital in the last year or so. The manager I have is fantastic and motivating, which is probably one of the best things about working here.

Cons

I work in a smaller department. Most of the employees have become complacent in their skills and don't work to sharpen up. I think most of this is because we are overworked and underpaid. For instance, they have needed to hire another person for about 6 months and it has yet to be done, so the rest of the staff has to divide up the work. Seeing too many patients per person along with dismal raises equals low morale.

Advice to Management

Recognize the "little people" more... They are the glue of the facility.

2. "The number one worst 3 months in my 27 years as an employed RN"

Former Contractor - NICU RN in Eureka, CA
    Former Contractor - NICU RN in Eureka, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The second floor ortho/peds dept night shift are very normal Nurses who appreciate the help and are respectful of other nurses. A great outstanding nurse on night shift in the NICU was really one of the saving graces of the OB dept. She is knowledgeable and works really hard to make up for the absolutely incompetency there. An excellent Charge nurse in PCU who by the way is a traveler and explained to me that the nurses on that floor were very needy and inexperienced so just baby them and show them what to do.

Cons

I was hired as level 2 NICU but was pushed into level 3 work by head nurses. Very lazy and untrained nurses. The ones with good skills have been lulled into laziness by lack of patients. The worst thing is arrogant young nurses who really believe they know what they are doing. I was literally pushed out of the way by a inexperienced nurse who thought I was doing a birth wrong while her patient was bleeding out. One nurse who followed me reported me for letting an IV infiltrate when the truth was I told her in report to watch the IV it was red but we had nursed the IV through the night because the patient was going to get long term abx. I guess she forgot the antibiotic was running and she let it infiltrate and told the head nurse it must have been running to fast just so she didn't get blamed. I could go on and on but there were a few good nurses who worked side by side with me and warned me about the bad majority of really untrained personnel. I had to show nurses how to insert NG tubes and run TPN and start IV's and tie restraints. One Charge nurse said I tied a patient to the bed with a bed sheet when I was tying the sheet to the foot of the bed so the patient wouldn't throw it off on the floor. It was like I was in a clown hospital. My last contract lasted 1 year because my contract was always re-newed and the NICU charge nurse said I was one of the best nurses she had worked with in 20 years. I went from that evaluation in a busy 60 bed NICU to a bad evaluation in a 4 bed NICU. HA doesn't make much sense does it?

Advice to Management

Treat your travelers with some respect. Talk to them if there are problems face to face. To the OB dept. There is a reason all your patients prefer going to Mad River hospital (a local county hospital with no money) to deliver and its not just the MD's. Although the MD's are really something else as well. If your MD is being stalked by a violent criminal who is armed and its her husband...maybe put her on a leave. Some of the Nurses and one MD are so fat they can hardly walk down the hall. That really is not acceptable. You put everyone in danger when a nurse or physician can't move fast enough to get the job done. No judgement as I have a few xtra lbs but especially in Land D where you have to move fast sometimes.It is not fair to the patients to have their care compromised in that way. Seriously management, Mad River Hospital is horrible and have no equipment or supplies and yet patients would rather deliver their babies there then at St Joe's, that is something to look at very hard.