St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center - Upper Management communicates in multiple ways. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

"Upper Management communicates in multiple ways."

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Pharmacist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Highest level management is great. They utilize many communication methods to keep staff up to date across all shifts.

Cons

1-Middle management needs more personnel training, plus backing from HR to take care of nonproductive employees.
 2-Unless you are a nurse, career progression has no advancement track.

Advice to Management

Give HR the teeth it needs to back managers who wish to help nonproductive employees move on.
Non-nursing departments need a strategic plan.

Other Employee Reviews for St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

"Sad that it's gone downhill in the last 18 months..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Pay seems to be competitive
    Good benefits in general
    The employees are dedicated to patient care and each other

Cons

Extremely high turn over in the last two years has lead to instability, from upper management to housekeeping. I've been with St. Joseph's for nearly a decade and have never seen such turn over.

It is a teaching hospital, and that is wonderful when there is teaching going on, but in the last couple of years, it seems that there are staffing issues that have led to other issues. We are short staffed on physicians in particular, which leads to an overutilization of medical students and residents. They have become cheap labor.

I am so disappointed that this hospital has let their employee appreciation and values go by the wayside. They ask for suggestions, but don't listen. Layoffs were happening at the same time that all of the landscape was being re-done. Priorities?

St. Joe's used to go to great lengths to make sure that each employee felt they had value and made a difference in the organization. Somehow that has gotten lost.

Benefits - although the coverage it very good, we are held hostage by our hospital/insurance. They make it so costly to go anywhere but our institution for care, that you really don't have a choice. I understand that it's in their best interest fiscally, but there are times when you don't want co-workers to know your personal business and health issues, but can't afford to go to another institution for surgeries, hospitalizations, etc.

VERY top heavy. There are an average of 6 employees to every 1 person in leadership (supervisor/manager/director/VP/etc.). Fact, not speculation.

Advice to Management

Thin out the top (executive leadership/management), listen to the employees' concerns and suggestions. When you ask for ways to improve the budget, and we tell you that the landscaping being changed multiple times each year is wasteful, don't tell us it comes from a "different bucket" of money. People on the verge of being laid off don't want to hear that, they want to hear how it can be balanced and how jobs can be preserved. When there is extremely high turnover (50% of staff and physicians leave in a 6 month period from one particular clinic), look at the cause. Stop letting politics within the hospital interfere with patient care and employee satisfaction.

2. "great, but uncertain...."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits with relatively nice people.
    A good hospital in general. Close to many food options as well and not far from Light Rail.

Cons

There is an uncertain financial future here at the hospital. Raises and bonuses are unknown at this point. You hear of many people being laid off--I guess it is part of the tough economic times for a non-profit hospital.