St. Jude Medical - Difficult upward mobility and less than innovative devices | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for St. Jude Medical

"Difficult upward mobility and less than innovative devices"

Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and benefits. Relaxed work environment.

Cons

Upward mobility is difficult. They honor the time you spend at the company more than your achievements.

Advice to Management

Promote from within!

Other Employee Reviews for St. Jude Medical

1. "Overall good work environment"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Sylmar, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the professionalism and inclusive nature of the work environment. Overall it was a good company to work with as a programmer analyst.

Cons

When I was laid off it came as a surprise. Early that morning I received an email regardig some reorganization coming up soon, and within an hour I was being let go. No warning, just laid off. In the end I was paid a good severance package, and would work with them again if given the chance.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to voices of innovation!

2. "A solid Med Device company with a lot of potential blockbuster products in the pipeline and very average management."

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product pipeline in the Cardiovascular and Ablation Technology Division (CATD) and the problems in the IESD product groups based in Sylmar, CA and Plano, TX are mostly behind them. Good pay, benefits are average but not being taken away like some other firms, and SJM is learning to become a global company that gets over half it's revenue from oversees. (Given ACA/MDET ... that's a real good thing!!!!) The Twin Cities facilities in Little Canada and new CATD consolidation in Plymouth are great. Many good things could happen to this company if management doesn't mess up and Obama stops bleeding this industry to pay for his foolish visions!

Cons

CEO Dan Starks is solid and smart ... and his Division Presidents are strong but not visible. Succession planning doesn't appear real clear and they just laid off 800 people last year. CFO is good ... but no COO. VP level in both product divisions CATD and IESD are smart but treat people like crap. Cowboys, Linebackers, and over-paid managers who have been promoted to their levels of incompetence! Ops, Finance and Supply Chain leadership are average and R&D leadership is a joke! Quality, Regulatory, and Clinical leadership are also very closed minded and not true global leaders. IT Systems and deployment of technology across the firm is a real risk. IT leadership is old and out of touch. They need to get help from the outside to help drive a plan ... no vision or plan in IT!

Advice to Management

Spend more time integrating the product divisions and eliminate redundant VP level positions ... as the teams under them want to work together but the VP's are all about politics and turf!!! Open up leadership of your R&D, Ops, and Clincial groups to the solid people who have been working for the firm for years and be ready to look at your oversea's sites for talent as well. Hold the USD and ID Sales management and global marketing groups accountable ... we need real market leaders and life science sales studs ... not these "order takers" we have today. ID needs a strategy and a leader!!!