Stack Overflow - Tough to find a better startup tech environment | Glassdoor
  1. "Tough to find a better startup tech environment"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at Stack Overflow for 6 years in sales and, as my headline implies, it'd be difficult to find a better startup environment. While it has all of the typical lumps of a startup, it more than makes up for it with its collaborative and friendly environment, inclusive and (increasingly) diverse culture, products that put the end user (i.e. the community of developers that make SO so powerful) first and the people....

Cons

Senior management needs to be more transparent about the direction of the company. We all know its doing well, but providing employees (particularly the ones who have spent many years there) more transparency on exit strategy is critical if it wants to keep them.

Stack Overflow2019-03-12

Other Employee Reviews

"Once a great company"

I have been working at Stack Overflow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing Benefits Smart and passionate coworkers Well known product Great brand power

Cons

Incompetent upper management No clear vision from senior leadership Superficial when it comes to company culture. Those who are loud and know how to self-market get ahead. Promotions are based on perceptions instead of actual effort.

Advice to Management

It's more of an advice to the board: make senior management accountable. SO is a business, hire senior leadership who are experienced at this, not people who have "seniority" within the company.

Stack Overflow2019-04-15

"Volatile outlook, laid off"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Stack Overflow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of perks, and a great situation if you work in New York or London

Cons

They closed and laid off all but 6 employees in the Denver office, including some who had been hired 3 weeks prior. Tons of poor planning from upper management. Favoritism, and a continued sexist attitude we see so much in the tech world.

Advice to Management

Get your finances in order, get more devs, and don't blame a well performing sales team when it's upper managements poor planning.

Stack Overflow2018-11-20

Discover more reviews about Stack Overflow.