Standard Chartered Bank - It is amazing to work in Standard Chartered Bank | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Standard Chartered Bank

"It is amazing to work in Standard Chartered Bank"

Current Intern - Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Current Intern - Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Global Company, Well reputed company

Cons

Too much work loads and pressure

Advice to Management

Try to maintain a good corporate culture so that no one face trouble due to internal company politics.

Other Employee Reviews for Standard Chartered Bank

1. "Wonderful organization that could have achieved more"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Present in the right market
    Excellent senior management

Cons

Can be too be bureaucratic
    Decision making can take a long time

Advice to Management

Too much time spent in sorting internal issues.

2. "Not good"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Standard Chartered Bank as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people are great, nice offices in the City, good reputation especially in Asia.

A good focus on CSR and Peter Sands has managed to keep the Bank very profitable during recession.

Cons

The Bank communicates as being a caring employer but it is not. I was made lots of promises about being made permanent right to the end of my last contract then they got rid of me without any interest in the impact it had on me, just because it suited them. And very little notice too!

Fair enough when you are in banking: it's a heartless industry. But usually the package makes up for that. It's the not the case at the Bank as it underpays. Relocation to Singapore is an easy way to recruit and retain though as taxes are so low there, especially compared Western Europe. Be however careful that non-permanent residents and nationals get a mere 3% of additional of cash in lieu of employer pension contributions while the UK pension scheme is fairly good (10 to 14% contributions depending on age if I remember well and if the Bank has not made itself compliant with age-discrimination legislation since I left). The relocation package is a bare minimum too.

There is also a prudent approach to anything and a big culture of engagement and consensus. Good idea but it's taken to the extreme, up to the point of inefficiency. The decision-making process is very slow, if any decision is made at all. Projects are planned at the beginning of the year and there is no departing from those. There is no reward for addressing other matters that pop up in the year, leaving the Bank exposed to non-compliance. The "it's not my role" attitude doesn't help either.

Relationship-based business too. What it means in practice is that anyone who is part of the furniture will have more influence than a more recent recruit. Not very motivating.

Finally, hierarchy thrives at the SCB with a little caste system within it. The lower caste is grades 9 to 5 and the superior ones are in bands 4 to 1. This is to the point that people will talk of graded or banded employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better. The economy will eventually pick up and the competition will suddenly become very attractive.