Stanford University - I was a software developer at a subsidiary of the Stanford Libraries. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

"I was a software developer at a subsidiary of the Stanford Libraries."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The retirement benefits are excellent. Some of the perks are really nice. If you happen to work on campus, I understand that the professional development is excellent.

Cons

Unfortunately, if you don't happen to work on campus, the professional development is nonexistent. Our management did nothing to invest in our careers or skills. As a result, the longer anyone worked there, the further behind their skill set slipped.

Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University

"This mommy museum was the most toxic working environment in my career."

Former Employee - Senior Director in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brilliant faculty, opportunity to do stimulating work.

Cons

Stanford is overloaded with spouses married to people with excellent incomes. These staff are strictly for the parental benefits. As a result it's a mediocre mommy museum on the staff side. Folks there are taking advantage of the child care benefit, and are hanging on for dear life for the college tuition benefit. As a hiring manager, it was shocking to me how many prospective employees expressed that as their reason to go to work for Stanford. What's even more shocking, is that these educated, but non-skilled people get hired.

The result: an entrenched work force, low-skilled at the professional level with incredibly personal and nasty politics. Those mommies will do anything to hang on long enough to get their little darlings that generous tuition benefit, and they will stab anyone in the back if it's to their advantage. That includes a dean, the provost, and anyone else who might get in their way. And they will say as much. In public.

Management is lousy, if non-existent. The HR department is a joke, especially given the number of egregious offenses that would not be tolerated in a half-way decent corporation. Toxic work environment.

Stanford is the largest employer in Santa Clara county, Calif. (Silicon Valley). It has a great brand. It has long since outlived that brand as an employer. The worst.

Advice to Management

Adjust the tuition and child care benefits. Stanford's compensations is not SV competitive, as advertised, unless adjusted for the tuition benefit. The tuition/child care addicts are polluting the work force. Find a human resources department that actually knows how to do that job. When you hire truly skilled professionals, let them do their jobs and ignore the kindergarten level politics.

2. "Assistant Professorship, challenging but rewarding and energizing experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, weather, friendliness, benefits, mentorship, resources

Cons

Salaries, high cost of living

Advice to Management

Increase salaries by about 25%