Stanford University - Working at Stanford was one of the best opportunities I've ever had. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

"Working at Stanford was one of the best opportunities I've ever had."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Stanford, CA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an amazing place to work. I've met so many intelligent, interesting people and learned so much. I met each day with new challenges and I got so much insight into working in the laboratory fields and it helped me realize what I want to do with my life.

Cons

The man who was the assistant of the head of my lab wasn't very nice. He seemed distant and very aloof and he was not helpful to me at all. He was even rude at times.

Advice to Management

Be kind to interns. Just because we're in high school doesn't mean we don't deserve your respect.

Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University

1. "Stanford attracts everybody but lab not."

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stanford is very good school for education and research.
    Stanford has the best campus and plenty if resources.

Cons

For a research lab, the potential is more decided by the PI, and have not too much connection with the whole school. That is, the style of PI decided your future. After postdoc, for a researcher, there is less chance to be promoted. Many people might just work the whole life as the same title. The salary is less compare to company. It is hard to live in Stanford area. Most important, you can't see the hope of change. If you enjoy and satisfy with current condition, just work the same pace to retire. If want to change, find other way.

2. "Choose your lab carefully"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perceived as being of high quality. Coming from Stanford will open a lot of interview doors and opportunities down the road

Cons

Many labs are large, and very little attention is paid to career development by PIs. If your work isn't going to Science Nature or Cell, it will frequently languish and not get published, really hurting your competitiveness for future job opportunities