Stanford University - Amazing place to do a Masters degree in CS | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

"Amazing place to do a Masters degree in CS"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your peers are super smart! The professors are very knowledgeable and work really hard to prepare for their classes. One can learn a lot from both the professors and their peers. I would also recommend taking some of the fun courses like dancing to get the most out of your time at Stanford.

Cons

You need to be on your toes and be ready for the gruelling schedule of the quarter system, it is definitely an effort to keep up with the pace.

Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University

1. "Filled with very smart people, exciting projects, and incredible area, but housing can be very expensive."

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

extremely intelligent people, cutting edge research, close proximity to exciting locations in the Bay Area. The extremely entrepreneurial culture fosters any ideas you may have and I can't think of a better place to pursue innovation

Cons

can be very demanding because expectations are so high, however this really pushes you to fulfill your potential

"Evil and Unprofessional Managers"

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stanford expresses strong values and provides great benefits.
    Reputable institution.
    Provides excellent training and classes.

Cons

Managers here are unprofessional and breaks administrative policies because of their power trips. They do not encourage team orientation or positive working environments, instead controls their every move to manipulate situations and gives only very negative feedback. Managers are deceitful and will ruin you if they don't "like" you. Petty and it's a disgrace considering that Stanford is reputable institution. The whole department is walking around on eggshells because no one is allowed to speak with each other or ask any questions. It is hostile and I've witnessed some employees fall so far behind because of their unreasonable amount of work, and see the favored ones who doesn't do much at all. Bad management skills overall!

Advice to Management

Hire mature and professional individuals who actually provides leadership and organization instead of brown nosed managers who wants to keep putting others down and are too busy trying too hard to make themselves look good. Give credit where it's due. Encourage a positive environment at all costs. Promote the idea that it is perfectly ok to work as a team and not be afraid to assist one another or ask questions. Gossips should not come from management and especially should not root from them. Follow good practices and conduct business in good faith, not who your favorites are. I know this is just one department and I have no doubt that others couldn't be this horrible.