Stanley Black & Decker - Great company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stanley Black & Decker

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, benefits and perks. I got to travel a ton and meet a lot of great people. Super good exposure to a public company. Had a sweet 2008 Silverado. Learned a lot about account management.

Cons

Lower pay than I wanted. It seemed like you had to play the 'game' to move up. I wanted to apply for a field sales role and my national sales manager said no because I had only been in my current position for 18 months. That should not be a factor in applying for a position.

Advice to Management

Offer a better comp plan based on individual success.

Other Employee Reviews for Stanley Black & Decker

"Tons of work, little pay, small pay increases, little regard for employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, decent benefits
    Decent product lines, although the reputation is quickly diminishing
    Great coworkers for the most part, but the good ones are starting to realize that they will make much more elsewhere

Cons

The company and management truly have no regard for employees as people. Two layoffs in the last year have proven that they are money hungry and push profit above all else, including product quality.
    You will not get your first raise until at least 2 years after you start. You get a yearly performance review and the raise attached to that does not come for 12-16 months after, and the raise will be 6% at most, if you are lucky.
    In all areas of the company, they are cutting people and expecting more work to get done. This makes the company look terrible with shoddy products, little to no inventory, and overworked bitter salespeople.

"The Stanley merger has damaged Black and Decker. It will never be the same."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career growth can be good if you are in with the right group.
    The equipment used for development and prototyping is modern and good quality.
    The people who get the work done work well together as a team.
    There is a company store and cafeteria on campus.

Cons

Conference calls consume your personal time away from work.
    There is constant pressure from upper management to shorten development time.
    Merit increases average about 3% and have been pushed out to once every 14 months
    Layoffs are common, which causes concern for job security

Advice to Management

You are loosing experienced, well qualified people, because you are not treating people with regard to the effort that they put forth to make your salaries. Quit messing with our salaries so you can get a bonus. Look back a few years and realize that while the company may not have been able to give raises, people were still loyal and worked after hours. Look now, and you will see that few remain after 5:30.