Stantec - Watch The movie Office Space. This is your new life. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stantec

"Watch The movie Office Space. This is your new life."

Current Employee - Architect in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Architect in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

A large variety of industries make up Stantec, giving you the opportunity to work with specialist outside your typical architecure firm.

Cons

The top 5:

1. You will be responsible to get your own work. Yes, EVERYONE. (minus the front desk)The management who used to do that will no longer be responsible for it. Your on your own brother.

2. Utilization. This number will be assigned to you on how directly billable you need to be. Fall below that number and you get a black dot. Seriously. Proposals dont count either.

3. Stantec's fees are very high for clients. Those clients you may have before the merger will find someone else.

4. Redtape. Its long, very long. In a crunch? Need something fixed or installed!? Take a number and wait. Stantec is a public company and is very regimented. If you have a 1 or 2 bosses now, expect 6 to 8.

5. Collaboration. Nope. If you need to have work performed outside your office (aka profit center), prepare to pay. You might as well out source to a 3rd party. Its probably cheaper and more rewarding.

Bonus comment: sorry, on a ripper. Obviously, I am un-happy with my aquisition. Stantec destroyed a very beautiful progressive firm for the short gain of the stockholders. Anything exciting about my work and my co-workers is all gone now. We went from 200 employees to 30 in just our office. Not because we are bad business people, BUT because we serviced our firm and other offices. Collaboration does not exist in Stantec. They will nickle and dime you to death. Forget Apple, you are now the GM of architecure.

Advice to Management

Passion counts. Stop working so hard to not work. Your not fooling anyone

Other Employee Reviews for Stantec

"One stop shop is a dead end solution in an economy that is aiming for regrowth"

Former Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Easy access to professional resources, talented and dedicated employees, some remaining middle management that care about growth opportunities for staff and the work itself.

Cons

Strategic direction of growing through acquisitions rather than focusing on or developing core strengths to create organic growth can not possibly sustain long-term attraction from clients and investors. Unstable local leadership - everyone in it for themselves and previous owners leaving voluntary and involuntarily. Plus haven't won a major project in the last two years; innovation or ability to market is lacking.

Advice to Management

Put some trust into your junior and professional design staff. They are the ones who can bring the company up to the level of your best competition.

"great place to work if mediocrity is your goal"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

great people, multidisciplinary collaboration and a north american reach that is remarkable. a place to practice the trade while building the wings to fly.

Cons

communication between offices, teams and leadership needs improvement. Practice of the corporate vision is weak. Identity and vision is leaking.