Staples - While technically a crappy job I'm not paid enough for, it is a place I enjoy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"While technically a crappy job I'm not paid enough for, it is a place I enjoy"

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely friendly, down to earth management
Interesting, challenging work
Lots of fun relationships with customers
It feels like my only true bosses are the customers
I have a lot of fun

Cons

I am paid $8.65 an hour.
I am working at Staples.

Advice to Management

This is advice to management above the general manager, who seems helpless and powerless against corporate:

Pay us more. A lot of people in the copy center really enjoy our jobs. I can't explain why I like my job in the copy center so much, but I do. It is an extremely professional job, and I am helping people with their projects, whatever they may be, every day. If I told any one of them how much I was paid, they would be utterly shocked and horrified, and would probably tell their friends, until it just became common knowledge that you are paying us extremely low wages, well below the cost of living, at least in Boston. And we really are very professional at what we do.

This is why stores have a very hard time hanging on the CPC associates; because despite the very positive atmosphere that somehow exists at Staples, you fail to show us the respect as the people running your entire show that we deserve. I love my job. But you really need to pay us more.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"mehhh it's ok"

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros are obviously the flexible hours and most of the people I work with.

Cons

if customers do not buy ESP (extended service plans) we as techs get yelled at. Just recently our Sales Manager made the techs sign a contract that stated if we don't almost constatly make 7% then we will get fired.

Advice to Management

Get off your but, and do more sales, also encourage the rest of the associates (OS, front end, and CPC) to sell plans as well, STOP breathing down the Tech's necks.... you want us to do our job, then back off and let us do it, don't badger us about not making 7%, every single week when we have not had that many sales, and if you see for yourself that the customer does not want to buy.

2. "Resident Technician"

Former Employee - Resident Easy Tech in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Resident Easy Tech in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were always supportive. Gained lots of experience in computer repair from this job. Part-time associates get health benefits.

Cons

Very high sales pressure for low pay. Terrible commission structure hardly worth the extra effort, company is more concerned with selling services than truly helping customers with their machines. Very stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Paying a computer technician minimum wage is a slap in the face. Pay your techs better any maybe employees will want to stick around.