Staples - Life in Staples Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Life in Staples Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to grow within the company. Started as a PT OS associate, then FT Furniture, then back to OS. Got promoted to OS specialist. Transferred to Easy Tech Expert and shortly after getting put in the Management Training program. Lastly getting promoted to Assistant manager. The opportunity is there if you have the drive to do well at your job

Cons

Make sure that the person who is training you knows what their doing. Otherwise, this can sidetrack your development severly.

Advice to Management

Train better.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Watch your back"

Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The cafe has decent food, also on thursdays a local bread company sells fresh artisan breads which are delicious! In terms of working for the company...I can't say much to promote working for them. I have worked for other large corporate companies and had much better experiences, the Staples merchandising division is a very difficult area to work in.

Cons

-No training
    -No guidance
    -No leadership
    -No support
    -No team work

I realize I sound like a bitter ex-employee, however I can honestly say I am trying to do my best to give an accurate description of what day-to-day life will be like while working at Staples Corporate. I wish I was warned before leaving my prior job, which I enjoyed.

During my first week, I had a co-worker who had the same position as me in another department tell me the most important piece of advice she could give me was to never delete an email because people at the company will take every opportunity they are given to stab you in the back. At first I thought that maybe she was just a bitter person, after a few weeks I realized she had given me some very useful information. Archiving all emails came in handy many many times. During my time with Staples I had the threat of mass layoffs hung over my head several times.

Honestly just writing this passage is bringing back so many horrible memories that I have to stop now.

To summarize my time with Staples, I now am prescribed to ambien because I experienced such anxiety dreading having to go to work and be abused all day long that I couldnt sleep and had to seek medical help to fall asleep.

Overall, if you are considering working for Staples this review will not faze you at first but 4-6 months in you will completely relate to what I've written.

2. "Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is friendly and helpful. They teach you what you need to know to be successful. The work is easy.

Cons

Any raises you get are very minimal. You will get paid better if you work at a high traffic store. Too much emphasis on computers and tablets and not enough on office supplies

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on marketing electronics. Focus on core office supplies. Few customers come to staples to buy electronics.