Staples - Staples is a very demanding company, with little work life balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Staples is a very demanding company, with little work life balance"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

strong company, decent pay and benefits, and bonus plan

Cons

no training, lack of store payroll. Inconsistent messag in the from DM and RVP in the Atlanta market. Company using low cost operating model LCOM, to keep stores open. 12 to 14 people in a building with all the tasks, ads, conference calls, and the constant pressure to get tech sales and copy sales. Pay for associates is terrible. They want big sales from $ 7.25per hour associates.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand and invest payroll in the stores. You cant operate to a profit. Put asociates in the store Stores need to have sku count reduced. Lots of dead inventory.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Management Restructure"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, ME

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did receive a promotion in the 3 years that I worked for Staples.

Cons

Due to recently announced layoffs, only 14 out of 24 assistant managers in my district got to keep their jobs. And I wasn't one of them, my only fault being that I've only held my position for a few months before the layoffs. They closed one of the stores in my district last year and plan to close another one this year. Makes you wonder how financially stable they are. Also half of their home office was laid off last year, so if you are thinking of applying for a management position, think twice. Staples might be going under...

Advice to Management

None, since I no longer work for them and am no longer paid for my expertise.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Staples full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had nothing but positive experience in SF Bay area market. you get weekly pay. and they seem to be not strict at all. and very flexible with your schedule. Great GM and Managers in SF.

Cons

Top down communications from corporate or upper management seems to be a disconnect. seems to me like every other store is not on the same page. there is to many manager level positions with in one store. and no one is on the same page. always a different direction.

Advice to Management

Keep what you are doing, Things will get better.