Staples - Assistant Manager - Great for first 20 years I worked there, Now I am getting layed off | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Assistant Manager - Great for first 20 years I worked there, Now I am getting layed off"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Springfield, MO
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyday is different even after 20 years. Nothing stays the same. New challenges everywhere. Fast paced, gotta think on your feet. I don't want to be fired, I enjoy my job. But they are cold blooded and they will lay us off in April 2013. It's crying shame. I don't want to work somewhere else.

Cons

This is a new crew of people running the home office. Tom Stemberg is not there anymore. It used to feel like a family. Everyone wanted to help everyone. Now with out Founder Tom Stemberg there anymore, his replacements are running the business like they plan to only work there for 5 years then move on. They allow their District Managers to toss out job threats over not selling enough Service Plans, Tech Services, and this anti-virus, SOPHOS, that they pretend is a tech service. It's not a tech service, it's an antivirus. But they pretent they are growning the stale business by pretending the SOPHOS is a Easytech service. The job threats come 5 a day in email over this metric and that metric. The hate-mail goes on to "promise change" Well you already told us you were eliminating all the assistant managers, so why keep threatening us? Pouring salt on a wound?
They annouced "Restructuring" (layoffs), which is a fancy term for firing as many hard working Assistant Managers as they can. They will let most of us go in April/May 2013 timeframe. We will walk in for our shift, walk into the office, be told we are terminated, hand in our keys and be escorted out.

Advice to Management

Tell your DMs to stop with the constant job threats, it's not helping, Also stop with the whole SOPHOS push. You know Wall Street won't count it as a tech sale, so just stop pushing so hard and threatening everyone's job through email where the whole District can see it.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "copy center associate expert tech"

Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Staples part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none not really any pros, maybe some co workers

Cons

work you like a dog

Advice to Management

get your nose out of the air

2. "Used to enjoy working, quit after the "restructuring""

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Staples part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job was easy, managers were nice...

Cons

little pay, 70 cents raise in 4 years, restructuring issue. I used to really enjoy working here part time while I was in school but then the restructuring of the company happened and the managers who I was really close with lost their jobs. After they lost their jobs we got new part time supervisors who don't know what they're doing and the work became miserable. I'm a student, and this isn't my career so I quit. I didn't want to work for a company that took away jobs from some of the best retail managers I've ever worked with.