Staples - Good for starting your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Good for starting your career"

Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Naperville, IL
Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Naperville, IL

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manager ensure that you are part of the staples team. Adheres to strict standards, but allows room for originality.

Cons

The amount of rules and regulations sometimes get in the way of doing the job effectively.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "WFM Manager"

Current Employee - WFM Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - WFM Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Overall, Staples cares about it's employees and make it known that they want to treat people fairly and fix the things they don't like. The company makes an effort 1-2 times per year to seek feedback from the workforce and make real changes based on that input. The company also has smart management, not everyone is that bright but, those at the top and many of the people you interact with on a daily basis care about what they are doing and do it well. The top brass makes good decisions and the company has remained profitable during tough times as a result.

Cons

Options for advancement can be limited in some groups unless you're willing to relocate but, that is slowly changing. More positions are being filled remotely and people are thinking more about the benefits of employees who work remotely than they have in the past.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Keep employees happy and they'll keep your customers happy.

2. "Hell on earth"

Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a culture, the people who work at Staples tend to have a sense of solidarity and formed familial ties with me during my time as copy and print associate. Working was made bearable by having friendly peers.

Cons

The importance they place on the Customer service satisfaction mystery shops-In the department of Copy and Print particularly. It is constantly busy and in order to score 100% you basically have to upsell certain services. Where this falls apart is: The mystery shoppers never spend more than 20 dollars, so they bring in small projects, and while the copy center is bustling, the natural inclination is to quickly complete the mystery shopper's small job and continue working on the bigger projects. Thus, the upselling is overlooked. In the entire year that I was there Not a ONE of us passed the CSAT, and it's silly because it's flawed by design.

Advice to Management

The General Manager by the time I left Staples was a very rude and unprofessional woman who prompted calls to HR from myself and my co-workers; none of which ever seemed to be resolved. I would suggest that Staples take the complaints of its workforce more seriously and try to better solve these types of issues before they explode. (which happens)