Staples - Good for starting your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Good for starting your career"

Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Naperville, IL
Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Naperville, IL

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manager ensure that you are part of the staples team. Adheres to strict standards, but allows room for originality.

Cons

The amount of rules and regulations sometimes get in the way of doing the job effectively.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "Too much work asked for not enough payoff"

Former Employee - EasyTech Associate
    Former Employee - EasyTech Associate

I worked at Staples part-time

Pros

Decent co-workers
    You get to deal with new tech items coming in all the time

Cons

Horrible management
    Poor store organization
    You have to give your life to be part of management
    Hours that are impractical and they make you stay past midnight on some nights to make up for the mess
    SEVERE understaffing. Almost criminal
    They wont let you take sick days, and if you do, they will dock your hours.
    If you have school or anything else they will think you are a slacker and dock your hours.

Advice to Management

Be a decent person
    Listen to your employees
    Staff enough people to handle the different departments
    Dont cut corners and give people specific coupons just because they are purchasing volume
    Treat employees with respect
    Understand that people have a life outside of the four walls in which they work in
    Understand that people are trying hard to do well, and you getting angry at them or not spending the time to organize the store make people hate working there.

2. "Hell on earth"

Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Copy Center Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a culture, the people who work at Staples tend to have a sense of solidarity and formed familial ties with me during my time as copy and print associate. Working was made bearable by having friendly peers.

Cons

The importance they place on the Customer service satisfaction mystery shops-In the department of Copy and Print particularly. It is constantly busy and in order to score 100% you basically have to upsell certain services. Where this falls apart is: The mystery shoppers never spend more than 20 dollars, so they bring in small projects, and while the copy center is bustling, the natural inclination is to quickly complete the mystery shopper's small job and continue working on the bigger projects. Thus, the upselling is overlooked. In the entire year that I was there Not a ONE of us passed the CSAT, and it's silly because it's flawed by design.

Advice to Management

The General Manager by the time I left Staples was a very rude and unprofessional woman who prompted calls to HR from myself and my co-workers; none of which ever seemed to be resolved. I would suggest that Staples take the complaints of its workforce more seriously and try to better solve these types of issues before they explode. (which happens)