Staples - Welcome to hell. (Houston TX) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Welcome to hell. (Houston TX)"

Current Employee - Office Supply Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Office Supply Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

First, there's the unrealistic workload. I'm a hard worker, but there are limits to everything. Management will tell you to drop what you're doing to help the customers. Our assignment sheets for each day are written with the assumption that we will not be approached by a customer. Seeing as we are constantly understaffed at Staples, assisting customers often leaves little time for our tasks.
Then, there's scheduling. Most employees only get 4 to 5 hours a day...for $8.00/hour. If you ask them to be flexible with the schedule so you can work another job to make ends meet, they tell you to take what they give you or quit.
Lastly, there's the type of management that Staples seems to prefer. I've had two managers there that were decent, straightforward people, who wanted to see the employees learn and grow. They got axed. All that's left are two managers who make empty promises. Their management style is primarily condescension and threats.

Advice to Management

The main problem with Staples is its corporate structure. It's nothing unusual these days, but it runs on the idea that stressed, anxious, desperate people make the best employees. If you are a manager, I probably don't have much respect for you: in my experience, the only way to remain a manager is to know which a**es to kiss, or who to screw over.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Just Like Geek Squad"

Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech in Upland, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech in Upland, CA

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is understanding (may vary by store), exposure to many computer problems and clients.

Cons

Essentially minimum wage for an IT job and company stresses sales over customer service. Example would be putting more time on the floor to attempt to sell a warranty or two on a computer or other device as opposed to finishing repairing a client's computer who already paid for it and risking upsetting them due to turn-around time.

Advice to Management

My best recommendation from what I've seen would be to have floor associates focus on raising department awareness in-store and selling warranties, and let the computer technicians focus on customer retention and inbound phone calls.

2. "WFM Manager"

Current Employee - WFM Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - WFM Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Overall, Staples cares about it's employees and make it known that they want to treat people fairly and fix the things they don't like. The company makes an effort 1-2 times per year to seek feedback from the workforce and make real changes based on that input. The company also has smart management, not everyone is that bright but, those at the top and many of the people you interact with on a daily basis care about what they are doing and do it well. The top brass makes good decisions and the company has remained profitable during tough times as a result.

Cons

Options for advancement can be limited in some groups unless you're willing to relocate but, that is slowly changing. More positions are being filled remotely and people are thinking more about the benefits of employees who work remotely than they have in the past.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Keep employees happy and they'll keep your customers happy.