Staples - A good starting place. | Glassdoor

"A good starting place."

Current Employee - CP Supervisor
Current Employee - CP Supervisor

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Staples as a part-time job when I had more free time. It has a "small store" atmosphere that feels a lot more casual than other box stores I've worked. This is a great place to work at if you are currently in school and need a job on the side, or possibly even as a second job to bolster money from a "main" job.

Cons

Expects way more of a work load than they are willing to give out hours for. Compensation is not competitive for specialty jobs. Pay raises are now uniformly percentile based on your existing pay. Considering they start hiring at minimum wage frequently, this is not a good thing. Pay caps are low. There are few full-time positions to go around (two or three per store, generally, unless very high volume location) and any other people who deserve better hours or pay are basically out of luck.

Advice to Management

Stop basing training & sales strategies around ideal scenarios and start basing it around how the stores are actually being run - often very understaffed.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Expects too much"

I have been working at Staples part-time

Pros

weekly pay
    most co workers are friendly

Cons

Have to sell a certain amount of promotional items a day, if you don't the manger will harass you and threaten your job
    Too many things going on at one time and very unorganized
    Cashiers are expected to not only ring up customers but also do office supplies job, though your expected to stay at the register

Advice to Management

Consider the cashiers when you have all these promotions going on. Sometimes its too much for us to handle when you have some many items that you try and get customers to buy. Also you should try and nicer to employees and not play favorites.

"Just awful, do not work here!""

Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Wappingers Falls, NY
    Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Wappingers Falls, NY

I worked at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers were nice but that was about it to be honest. Somewhat flexible with needing days off.

Cons

Long story short, do not waste your time at this place. The management is unprofessional and does not know what they are doing. All they care about is meeting sales goals (protection plans, electronics, savings passes and a bunch of other unnecessary garbage) and will bully you into a panic attack if you don't do so. They give basically no training, but expect you to function like a robot. I was only hired because I was a female and they "needed a girl in easy tech". The entire experience was horrible and I warn everyone not only to not bother working there, but also to not shop there, as their prices are ridiculous and they lie to their customers about many things (ex; protection plans- they are a SCAM).

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees