Staples - A good starting place. | Glassdoor

"A good starting place."

Current Employee - CP Supervisor
Current Employee - CP Supervisor

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Staples as a part-time job when I had more free time. It has a "small store" atmosphere that feels a lot more casual than other box stores I've worked. This is a great place to work at if you are currently in school and need a job on the side, or possibly even as a second job to bolster money from a "main" job.

Cons

Expects way more of a work load than they are willing to give out hours for. Compensation is not competitive for specialty jobs. Pay raises are now uniformly percentile based on your existing pay. Considering they start hiring at minimum wage frequently, this is not a good thing. Pay caps are low. There are few full-time positions to go around (two or three per store, generally, unless very high volume location) and any other people who deserve better hours or pay are basically out of luck.

Advice to Management

Stop basing training & sales strategies around ideal scenarios and start basing it around how the stores are actually being run - often very understaffed.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "staples"

Current Employee - Staples EasyTech Expert
    Current Employee - Staples EasyTech Expert

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the jobs are easy but get boring quick

Cons

the pay scale is terrible

Advice to Management

stop being up tight about giving people raises

"not a bad company to work for"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor
    Current Employee - Team Supervisor

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for promotion

Cons

too many chiefs, not enough indians due to payroll issues.

Advice to Management

Staples senior management does quite a few things incorrectly. First I feel as if when a RVP or DM is visiting a location, visits should not be announced. Employees work extended hours to prepare for this visit. If employees did their job correctly and were held accountable for it everday, a visit will be just like every other day but instead we blow payroll out of the water to prepare...doesnt make sense. also, stores now have 3 full time managers, 2 team supervisors and experts in every department. all considered managers and then there is not enough payroll to have employees on schedule. so here we are excited to get promoted and become a manager yet still ringing on the register just like the casheirs because we cant afford to have a cashier on schedule. doesnt make sense.