Staples - Restructuring Killed the Company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Restructuring Killed the Company"

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits at an affordable price. I loved a lot of the people I worked with. Their approach to customers (through the VIBE training program) is one of the best I have worked with. As well they invest money into theme days at the store to help bolster morale.

Cons

When the company restructured they didn't communicate it properly to employees on the ground level. Management was forbidden to tell them much, and a lot of staff heard about my assistant leaving when they were helping out at another store. The company should have been more transparent about what was happen, as the change destroyed the morale in my store.
Staples gives next to no training hours for new employees and have complicated computer training for them to complete, which trick questions during the test. Further, the training modules are out-dated and don't help the employee when they are in real-life scenarios with customers. The whole program needs to be re-vamped.
Lastly, with the restructuring, the amount of work on the management increased tremendously. It made it impossible for myself, as a General Manager, to see to the day-to-day things I needed to get to, as I was on the floor helping in tasks or serving customers, as the hours had been slashed. I was a glorified sales associate and unable to grow or drive my business/team. For a company that is not going out of business, they are starting to treat their employees like they are and making their jobs very stressful.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting hours. Invest more in training. You will never get where you want to go if you don't invest in your people.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "Sr Management is stale and has continued to underperform"

Pros

Pay, name brand, learn lots

Cons

Culture. Lack of commitment to its employees

Advice to Management

Hire people who know what they are doing instead of those who are purely academically superior

2. "Took the position out of desperation"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Florence, KY

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is a nice perk.

Cons

Doing customer service and low wages.