Staples - A great learning experience, one that I have had to seek for myself. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"A great learning experience, one that I have had to seek for myself."

Current Employee - Team Supervisor
Current Employee - Team Supervisor

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is good, until you do something wrong.

Cons

Staples does not have a focus. The values that Staples proclaims is one that any employee can be proud of, however the standards are not kept within the requirements of day-to-day operations.

Advice to Management

Cutting people on the lower end does save payroll. But so would cutting some execs at the top. The pyramid built by Staples has so many levels that they forget that their salaries are paid by the sales and the efforts by those making $8 an hour.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"I really enjoy my co-workers and the management at the store I work at but don't feel as good about corporate."

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, ability to work with quality machines/products in the Copy & Print Center. You get paid weekly which I like and they have decent deals they provide to their employees.

Cons

The store I work at has about 25-30 employees but only 2 people are "full-time", the Sales Manager and the General Manager. However, there are actually 10 employees including me that work full-time hours but are classified as part-time. I believe they are doing this to avoid having to provide us with health insurance. I don't really even fully blame Staples for this as I believe it's being done due to the passage of 'Obamacare'. The health care law is having a terrible impact on many staples employees nationwide.

Advice to Management

I work in the Copy & Print Center and see how profitable the department could be if you hired qualified, motivated people. I think if you raised the wages for Copy & Print employees from the current $8.85/hr to $12-13/hr you would attract far more competent people and the turnover for these positions would plummet. The Copy & Print Center does higher sales and better quality production when the CPC associates are all on the same page and each knows their roles. Teamwork is essential and will never be fully accomplished with the current high turnover rate among CPC associates. I believe raising the CPC associate wages would actually increase profits by attracting far more qualified people. With qualified, highly motivated, and sales-driven CPC associates I believe the sky is the limit for Staples' Copy & Print Center. I know our CPC can be #1 and FEDEX Kinkos will be a thing of the past. Lets make Staples Copy & Print the only place to go for all people & businesses copy & print needs. I hope you consider this.

2. "It's like high school for ADULTS"

Former Employee - Cashier and Copy & Print Associate
    Former Employee - Cashier and Copy & Print Associate

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some fun items to buy, some cool employees, some cool customers, A/C.......Good for someone in college or just turning 18!

Cons

Managers who shouldn't be managers, Employees will gossip about everyone, It can get very slow and boring, Back to school season, Rude crazy customers ( that's retail), The pay sucks, So do the the raises, Staples reward cards etc.

Advice to Management

Get off your ass.....Even though someone is riding yours doesn't mean you need to treat the ones below you like trash, You are a Staples Manager not a Graduate of Yale....not that special.....Do your job like you mean it!