Staples - Decent place to work | Glassdoor

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Certified On Site Technician in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Certified On Site Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people for the most part
Hours not too bad

Cons

Sometimes unrealistic Tech Sales goals

Advice to Management

Continue to place value on your tech associates and continue their education within the company

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "Outdated Business Model"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people to work with.

Cons

Low associate to customer average at all times...no specialty, if you are a tech you stock and ring as well or jack of all trades, low wages, management is lazy. Have a GM who sat in the office all day and contributed nothing to the bottom line. average age of customer is 60

Advice to Management

Hire more people, try to cater to a younger crowd, stop paying the CEO millions while the people on the floor make nothing

2. "Don't waste your life working for Staples"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was ok, almost $35k starting out as an assistant manager, my particular team that worked for me

Cons

Basically everything, closed-minded leaders, false sense of customer centered service, all they care about is selling warranties that truly do not start until a year after the purchase (even though they advertise a 3 year warranty, the first year is always pushed to the manufacture, no help from Staples!), robotic overlords as superiors, poor work/life balance (retail is infamous for this), no respect (worked with the company for over 6 years and when I got a new GM that didn't like me because I am too personable, I got laid off). I progressed from the lowest position within a store to nearly the top within 2 years, but apparently my expertise did not matter. In April of this year, Staples conducted a reduction in force. Meaning they cannot manage there assets and over spent capital on just plain dumb investments with no research on their return on these investments. Signs of a failing and ignorant company lost in the past. Ron Sargent is just a suit and tie with eyeballs.

Advice to Management

Get real and get with the times. Retail stores like Staples will not exist if they do not offer something new to their consumers. Why would you buy anything from Staples when you can get it cheaper online? This statement holds true because nothing you offer is of importance to people, if they do not absolutely need it, they will get it cheaper. Money makes the world go round, don't forget it.