Staples - Too much responsibility for too little pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Too much responsibility for too little pay"

Current Employee - Copy Center Service Expert in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Copy Center Service Expert in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience to learn time management and effective customer service. The atmosphere for representatives on the floor was relaxed and management kept open communication with the employees.

Cons

There were few opportunities for advancement, and management consistently asked for greater and greater performance without any incentives in pay or even tokens of appreciation.

Advice to Management

At the store level, Staples is trying to squeeze more money out of fixed labor costs, and is clearly trying to transition into a company that sells technology and copy-center services without giving the proper training or support. If you want repeat customers, have more well-trained employees on hand, and pay them properly for their time.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Typical advancement for the dishonest, good ole boy system is very much alive."

Former Employee - Electronics Lead, Copy Center Associate in Brunswick, GA
    Former Employee - Electronics Lead, Copy Center Associate in Brunswick, GA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training is great, they actually do give you the tools you need to succeed and to know your job inside and out. They also have a "help your other departments" attitude about maintaining the store. Good at keeping their registers and technology generally up to date so even in old stores they have really good systems that generally don't break down often at all. When something does break down their systems admin operations works very well on getting machinery back up and running, and in their copy print center they do have a great system for keeping even their lamination and printing machines operational and quickly fixed if something goes wrong. Good benefits package, last I was working there they had a system where you could actually be part time and get benefits that weren't outrageously priced or just out of reach like other companies.

Cons

Favoritism was all throughout every store I worked. Over my 9 year period working there I encountered manager after manager that had no concept of advancement or rewarding their employees. One manager actually told me he didn't believe in any kind of raise even annual. The type of people they typically hire in the southeast quarter of this chain were dishonest car salesman type people for the most part. The only and I mean only sensible people I've ever met in management has always been sales or operations manager, the general managers were always people of highly questionable character. If you were buddies with the manager you could literally get away with anything. People often abused this to the extent of keeping people over their allotted time by not taking care of their department thus forcing the rest of the store to have to help out. The managers would actively avoid departments that they felt they didn't know despite our being informed that they went thru the same training as we did so often smaller departments like Copy Center were completely ignored when help was needed with customers who didn't have the technical know how to read the instructions off of the self serve copiers and pay with a card right there at the machine. Advancement was unheard of unless you too were a car salesman type that could swindle your way into the upper ranks with no skill whatsoever. There was a close knit buddy buddy system between managers and area managers so as to prevent any manager that the area managers liked from being held responsible for this type of negligent behavior in customer service or helping out in the departments they should know how to perform tasks in. Surveys were being taken the last year I worked there due to the overwhelming problems coming from this favoritism in the work place, even tho 80% of my store publically supported getting an investigation going into their manager's lack of ethics nothing was done. Propaganda was shown every year at the same time to try to prevent strikes and to prevent employees from forming a union filled with lies about how bad unions were and how they destroyed companies for years.

Advice to Management

HR and Corporate Headquarters needs to contact each individual employee, setup a phone conference to talk about the problems in each store from the employee's point of view, they need to send out anonymous surveys quarterly and actually follow the reports with action. They need to stop showing propaganda in their stores to prevent people from striking and improve their overall management staff as well as how the managers are put in position including a 1 year probation time period to make sure these managers actually are a positive change in the work environment. They need to implement a mandatory biannual program that's actually $50 twice per year to improve overall morale and they need to implement a program that actively seeks people from within the company for management positions rather than seeking hiring elsewhere every single time, most of the managers I worked with were from other companies and other industries, I rarely met an area manager or general manager from within the company.

"I loved my role as a B2B Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staples Advantage puts in great support, resources and compensation to help their B2B's become successful while offering amazing ability to move up within the company. The more that you put in, the better your paycheck comes out. There is a very large percentage of promotion within to go along with stock benefits, multiple bonuses per year and base salary increases. My team and manager created a fun and energetic culture that was fantastic to work in.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to this role and company.