Staples - Back to school season | Glassdoor

"Back to school season"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I been work at staples for a little while. I was only there for the back to school season and I gotta say working there is a great experience. All the employees and management are cool people. They not rude, selfish, greedy or anything like that. As I trainee whenever I ask for help from anybody. They always help me out. They look out for their trainees teach them what to do. In fact they even put you with someone that knows what their doing. They even have a schedule in the back and a website you can go to, to see when you work. I just wish I could have stay their longer.

Cons

The only thing negative I have to say about the store are the CUSTOMERS. Not all but some of them are rude. As a beginner they think you have to know EVERYTHING LIKE NO. Whats so funny is that you have a tag that clearly say IN TRAINING, but no they to blind to see that. Like I say not all of them. Some see your tag and understand how you feel so they work with you and very patience about it.

Advice to Management

Just let your seasonal employees when their last day is in advance so they not surprise.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "Worst Job I ever had"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Summerville, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Summerville, SC

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had some nice coworkers. There were times when I got really good hours. And I did enjoy the experience through the different departments of the store. It was great as a starting job. I used to love this job and always looked forward to work until the management changed.

Cons

The managers constantly talked down on you and insulted you. They do not care that you have a life and that you go to school. They change the schedule and schedule you when you request off. They are not the least bit understanding. They constantly breath down your neck about selling this that and this and do not consider the hours you have worked. I would not go back to this store specifically. Also the pay was not worth the time. Also they would tell me I am part time but I have to work 36-37 hours during the summer. That was irritating.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and understand their needs.

"The one hand doesn't know what the other is doing"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The fact is that the company has a well meaning goal. Assist the customer and get them to the products and services that they need and desire. The work is good, and the hours okay.

Cons

Resources. The fact is that being micromanaged from the top on down doesn't allow for a consistent goal, nor does it allow for flexibility of the local management teams to set out, try something new, different see what sticks. Tow the line or be fired. As far as management is concerned anyway, try and get an unruly associate fired and its like pulling teeth.

The stores need hours and bodies to accomplish the goals that they have set out to accomplish to show the earnings that they would like to for Wall Street. As it stands, I don't see this as a business that I could recommend to anyone but as a part time employee. Any other job here is not going to be pleasant and will quickly end up finding you burned out and exhausted in a way that defies imagination. The target will be constantly moving, and changing. All while appeasing one new upper management mandate over another to find yourself in a tail spin of inadequacies trying to make a lame excuse that sounds like it has some veracity to it so that you can find yourself in a place that adequately compels the upper manager to either leave you alone or write you up.

I work MORE hours now, in a MORE process oriented MORE sales driven and MORE stress filled environment. And find myself more satisfied, because the resources that I need are at my disposal.

Advice to Management

Give the managers the hours, the bodies and the pay that those bodies deserve. If your full timers can apply and get food stamps, that is a sign that there needs to be a re-thinking of pay scale. Give one achievable goal, and let the management teams do what you hired them to do without micromanaging. Hold them accountable, but let them run the business that you hired them to do. There is no reason for continual district manager oversight on something that truly doesn't need it. Let your managers manage. Give them specific budgets, and let them go. Stop cutting the hours in your stores, if you want the customer service expectations that you had in my tenure, the only way to achieve them is by putting the associates in front of the customers. You can't do that when there aren't enough associates to go around.