Staples - Staples schedules terrible hours, expects too much work for minimum wadge. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Staples schedules terrible hours, expects too much work for minimum wadge."

Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Pineville, NC
Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Pineville, NC

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Networking with people, part time benefits.

Cons

Low wadges, everyone is miserable.

Advice to Management

Hire less people for longer hours

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Is in need of real leadership"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, friendly and helpful. Several remain friends even after Staples.

Cons

I worked at corporate headquarters where there are many managers, but very few true leaders. The company vision changes every few months when the earnings report is less than favorable. In any case your manager will be unlikely able to help you understand how your work contributes to the vision. And you'll get your performance objectives about a month before your review, so how can you possibly perform well against them?

Advice to Management

Be leaders. Understand the difference between mission, vision, and objectives. Mission and vision should have staying power. Objectives to fulfill the mission and vision can change as need be. Help everyone connect the dots between what they do and the mission and vision.

2. "I learned more about being a manager in my 6 years at Staples than I did in my 13 years with prior retailers."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As the general manager, I was able to make decisions in my building without feeling micro-managed. The training provided is excellent, and their "intranet" is a phenomenal source of work related knowledge. Although it depends on your immediate supervisor, I felt like he genuinely cared about me and each of my team members.

Cons

As with any retailer, too much is expected and too little time is given. The company has made some wise restructuring moves to stay alive with the economy, but with all the cutbacks, I started feeling less valued as an individual from a corporate standpoint.

Advice to Management

Take time to appreciate your key players. I could have managed with the cutbacks if I had felt valued as in individual.