Staples - favoritism runs rampant, whole team suffers and heads have been rolled | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"favoritism runs rampant, whole team suffers and heads have been rolled"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yorba Linda, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yorba Linda, CA

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

experience
brushing up on communication
understanding the needs of other businesses
able to expand on organizational skills
meeting connections
learning new skills
stable location

Cons

lack of appreciation
hours fluctuate from great to poor
expected to sell plans
primarily for aspiring sales persons

Advice to Management

every aspect of the business you run is integral. if you fail to notice this, then you're expected to have a high turnover

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "I learned more about being a manager in my 6 years at Staples than I did in my 13 years with prior retailers."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As the general manager, I was able to make decisions in my building without feeling micro-managed. The training provided is excellent, and their "intranet" is a phenomenal source of work related knowledge. Although it depends on your immediate supervisor, I felt like he genuinely cared about me and each of my team members.

Cons

As with any retailer, too much is expected and too little time is given. The company has made some wise restructuring moves to stay alive with the economy, but with all the cutbacks, I started feeling less valued as an individual from a corporate standpoint.

Advice to Management

Take time to appreciate your key players. I could have managed with the cutbacks if I had felt valued as in individual.

2. "Consistently inconsistent"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmm.. My store manager was fairly willing to work with our schedules, and was friendly.

Cons

Everything else. Small salary, very limited job security, poor communication, and absolute confusion at all times. There are three managers who all seem to have the same power to tell you what to do, and will give conflicting tasks, which are expected to be completed at the same time.

Advice to Management

Make your people feel useful, not replaceable. When I was first hired there, the manager at the time had a terrible habit of telling staff he intended to replace them if they couldn't keep up. And keep up with what? Minimum wage? Please.