Staples - Happy, as long as we keep reinventing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"Happy, as long as we keep reinventing."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Major re-invention, second largest eCommerce player, great team.

Cons

Large bureaucracy, some holdovers from the retail mindset.

Advice to Management

Be bolder, act more like a private company.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. "Customer service agent"

Pros

Big company
    Close to home
    nice customers
    good products
    good customer service

Cons

Lots of layoffs. I worked for corporate express before staples took over. Working for corporate express was a wonderful experience, they really cared about their employees. I understand the environment is not the same anymore now that it is staples.

2. "Great Employees, Awful Company"

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Old Saybrook, CT
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Old Saybrook, CT

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Store management can be really, really great. I started working here when I was still in high school and many of my coworkers and managers are like a second family to me. Can be an enjoyable place to work when there are good customers. There is also a small employee discount on all items and an impressive discount on protection plans. Inside knowledge on sales and clearance deals makes it easy to find a good deal. Health, dental, and vision benefits are available to part-time associates (see con).

Cons

Terrible company to work for. Health benefits do not offer much and are pricey. Recently cut all hours for part time associates to 25 and under, some weeks it will go as low as 10-15 hours. Company is struggling to find its footing in a changing retail environment and is making the employees suffer to compensate. District and regional management and corporate management is almost useless; they visit the store every now and then and institutes random policies and then never follows up.

Advice to Management

This advice is more for upper level management and corporate than for store-level: treat your employees better! We work for this company because we choose to. I applied here when I was sixteen because I wanted a job. I worked through high school and during college because I loved my job. I chose not to leave and find better, higher paying jobs because I loved my managers, my coworkers, and helping customers. Your employees are the face of your company, if we are happy then customers will feel it and they will be happy. If we are treated poorly and then ordered to be happy and say "My pleasure" to every customer "or else" then customers will know the smile is forced, will know we are miserable, and they in turn will be miserable. Be honest with your employees, treat them right, and make them happy, and we will give 110% back to the company and make the customers happy. Happy employees = happy customers = more sales = more profits = happy stockholders = happy employees (etc. etc. its all one big cycle)