Staples - I'd rather fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shi.t out of Hong Kong then stay working at lolStaples. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

"I'd rather fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shi.t out of Hong Kong then stay working at lolStaples."

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in North Haven, CT
Current Employee - Inventory Manager in North Haven, CT

Pros

If you're in high school, this is a decent place to work.

Cons

This company doesn't know how to run a business. I'd rather fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh.it out of Hong Kong.

Advice to Management

Go to school.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

"Better than a lot of retail, but has a lot of room for improvement..."

Former Employee - Department Lead in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Lead in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

If you're a hard worker, you'll be recognized/rewarded for it. Benefits are pretty good for full time employees.

Cons

There is little specialization, everyone does a little of everything. Huge disconnect between management and employees. VERY physically demanding depending on position. Labor hours get cut, expectation of the store goes up. Unrealistic budget expectations.

Advice to Management

Provide a better path towards management for store employees interested in going in that direction. Also, for college grads not interested in store management or not near headquarters, what opportunities are available????

2. "Overall Staples is a good company to work for, I'm not getting rich here - but I like my job and the way I'm treated"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Tampa, FL

Pros

Staples just took over Corporate Express. The merging of 2 large corporations should lead to some layoffs, but far more opportunities, especially in the IT areas, combining of existing systems and developing new tools.

Cons

I have been at Staples/CEXP for a while, raises used to generous, and advancement opportunities were plentiful. I started at an entry level position, and in 5 years received 3 promotions and doubled my starting salary. The past 3 years things have really been rough, I didn't get a yearly merit raise, I was told no one did. Then this past year I received a 2.5% yearly raise. (this was under CEXP, this is my first year under the new Staples management, hopefully raises will be better)

Advice to Management

I do feel I'm under-paid - I've been offered more money for the same position at 2 other companies. I like my job and co-workers, this satisfaction as well as a very short commute has offset the financial loss of staying put, but if yearly merit raises don't get back to the 4-5% range it will be hard to not look around even though I love my job.