Starbucks - Good company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Barista in Rocklin, CA
Former Employee - Barista in Rocklin, CA

Pros

I think that Starbucks is a good company to work for because they care about their employees. It was voted one of Fortune 500's best companies to work for in 2008 because of the benefits they give to their employees. The work is hard sometimes but the the store I work for fosters an atmosphere of trust and respect most of the time.

Cons

The customers at the Bucks are probably the worst part. There are those people who are real pains in the butt and don't care how they treat you, as long as they get their daily caffeine fix. Granted there are bad customers in any business you work in, but for some reason out of all the places I have worked (5 total) the Starbucks customers seemed to be the worst.

Advice to Management

That, contrary to popular belief, sometimes employees are more important than the customer

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Great job and benefits!"

Former Employee - Barista in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Davis, CA

Pros

The job is fun and you get to and you always have something to do. It's not boring at all. The benefits are amazing if you can manage to work just 20 hours a week. that's not too hard. You'll definitely want to work more because this environment is relaxed- except in the mornings- and it's so much fun. I say this because I worked there when I was in college and it was just a great time interacting with those around me. Even after a few months out of college I worked there for the benefits and it was still worth it.

Cons

Th pay isn't great, but at least it's work.

Advice to Management

Watch out for who you promote. Some ASMs are ridiculous.

"Starbucks--not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Starbucks was a great place to work for many years. You were really treated as a business owner and could make decisions for your store based on your partners, customers, and business. There was a framework, of course, but within it the store managers were generally left to run their businesses. You were held accountable for your P&L results. Successful managers were rewarded with high payouts on their bonuses. Unsuccessful managers were coached by their District Managers in an effort to improve performance. Starbucks truely lived by the Mission Statement and Guiding Principles and Store Managers based their daily decisions on them.

Cons

Over the past year the leadership team at Starbucks completely changed its style to micromanagement. Results no longer mattered. The leadership was more concerned about if you acheived their goals the exact way that they laid out for you to meet them. Promotional goals became a strict focus even if it meant driving down average transactions. So, for instance, instead of suggestively selling an item that we genuinely thought our customer (Joe) might like today based on what he ordered and what we know about him, we were made to force the same products on our customers everyday in order to meet one specific goal. Essentially we were no longer allowed to think for ourselves and those who questioned it were weeded out.

Advice to Management

I would say that there are better ways to save money in the company than at the expense of our partners. My recommendations are :
    1) Get rid of EcoSure--The health inspectors do this for free and SMs/DMs should be able to assess operational standards as part of their regular jobs.
    2) Don't spend money on laptops for every store. Sure, it may be convenient, but it is not a necessity.
    I would also say that they should say what they mean and mean what they say. Don't tell us in NoLa at our leadership conference that we are going to be business owners again; then afterwards, micromanage us more than ever. Don't tell us that there are no more planned layoffs; then the next week layoff 700 more people.