Starbucks - Great place to learn communication skills for a young adult | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Great place to learn communication skills for a young adult"

Former Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making delicious beverages, interacting with great customers, and learning how to communicate effectively. Also for the most part, the job is very fun and goes by fast.

Cons

beverage repeatable routine took away the ability to make amazing quality drinks. Disliked the very corporate nature that took over in 2010-2011. Frappucino happy hour was one of the worst shifts to work. Not enough freedom and allowed creativity to engage customers and make them "enthusiastically satisfied"

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Used to be incredible, now it's just so-so."

Pros

They offer part-time benefits. They rate of pay is comparable to other coffee shops, if not slightly higher.

Cons

It is difficult to actually get the number of hours needed to obtain part-time benefits (they will keep you at around 18, instead of letting you have 20).

Advice to Management

This company used to be a leader regarding their treatment of employees. This has changed in recent years.

2. "SBUX"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits even if part time. Great place to work part time with very fun people. Get a good manager and you'll want to stay forever.

Cons

Low pay for hard work. Can't afford most of the benefits. Managers have all the power so if they don't like you, you're history. Very hard to advance in stores. Hours are horrible, if you get any.

Advice to Management

Support you Baristas, they are the reason for your success or demise. Customers are #1 and they know it and abuse it. I've had customers throw things at me, call me nasty names and threaten to hurt me and only once did I have manager back up.