Starbucks - A great first job | Glassdoor

"A great first job"

Former Employee - Barista in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Barista in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, it was easy to switch times with other employee's or to simply change your own availability. As a high school student and athlete I was able to get a schedule that worked with my busy lifestyle.

Cons

Fairly strict procedures on how each drink must be made, to how the store must be kept and the displays handled. Closing and opening shifts are a lot of extra work without any extra pay. The only other downside is that someone has to work on holidays.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Starcups"

Former Employee - Barista in Madison, NJ
    Former Employee - Barista in Madison, NJ

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the smell when I enter a Starcups store and they offer healthcare to part time employees.

Cons

It's a mega corporation and they offer crappy wages for entry level employees.

Advice to Management

Reduce prices by about 40 percent. Reduce salaries of upper level management by about 40 percent. Drop the ridiculous high-end coffees from obscure places...nobody cares about coffee that comes from Timbuktu.

"Great co-workers, infuriating customers"

Former Employee - Barista in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Barista in Summit, NJ

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product (coffee) is both high quality and interesting, and Starbucks has frequent paid training sessions to learn more about it.

"Baristas" get treated with more dignity and respect than most other food service jobs.

All employees get healthcare and a 401(k), very rare for low-level jobs.

Cons

Like any customer service job, the customers are the worst part. Starbucks trains its regulars to feel comfortable ordering any and every possible variation to their drinks, and customers abuse this privilege. You will frequently receive orders like a "venti soy vanilla chai, 2 pumps vanilla, 3 and-a-half pumps chai, 190 degrees, light foam, with cinnamon topping", and the customer will demand the whole thing remade if anything is slightly off. Unlike other stores, at Starbucks you are expected to obey the customer's every whim, no matter how ridiculous.