Starbucks - Great opportunities. | Glassdoor

"Great opportunities."

Former Employee - Barista in Marrero, LA
Former Employee - Barista in Marrero, LA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive (not minimum wage) hourly wage. The hours are pretty decent. Customers are easier on you than other fast food employees. Co-worked comraderie is excellent. Stock options are decent. Tips are usually an extra $1.50 an hour; $3ish during holidays.

Cons

There are usually lots of young people, so lots of interpersonal drama. There were little power-struggles with low-level management who abused their power/let their menial customer service job get to their head. If you have open availability, you could be opening one day and closing another, so it messes with your sleep schedule.

Advice to Management

The way the manager ran my store was laughably bad. We had one barista who was an excellent salesman, so our store always had the best sales figures. But the way he talked to employees was deplorable. HR would have a fit if they could overhear. He's going to get Starbucks sued one day. I was a great employee for over four years. I was never promoted because of a personal vendetta- he even went so far as to telling other shifts to write me up over the smallest thing. Obviously, he didn't have a real case because I lasted for a while and left by

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome company, great benefits, fun

Cons

gets annoying after a while, people love to complain about coffee.

2. "Very unprofessional, over stressed environment where Shift Supervisors are on power trips"

Current Employee - Barista in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Barista in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free drinks
    learn how to make coffee
    providing customers with great customer service and seeing those results

Cons

Unprofessional conduct of shift supervisors
    Shift supervisors act as substitutes to management but lack management skills and/or education
    Hours cut when request one day off a week
    Conflicting expectations between shift supervisors and management
    lack of respect from management/supervisors to other employees
    When the store is busy, do not expect to get your allotted breaks
    When store is busy, do not expect to get to leave on time
    Preach "customer service" but then is all about sales, making money, pushing items on customers
    ***Tell employees they will get benefits within 90 days, but in reality NOT UNTIL next quarter. (I have to wait 8 months to get benefits!)
    Expect Starbucks to be your #1 priority.

Advice to Management

Take a management course, require shift supervisors to have some sort of education in management/professional conduct.. If all of your employees are requesting a day or shift off, investigate why and see how you can resolve that problem/make your employees happy. See what you can do to make work a more pleasant environment. Actually TALK to YOUR EMPLOYEES and receive feedback.