Starbucks - Great team, sometimes stressful work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Great team, sometimes stressful work environment"

Former Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was brought to work among a great team of baristas; the hiring process was certainly rigorous, with a phone interview and two in-person interviews with a supervisor and store manager -- but the outcome of this interview process shows in the team. Pretty good discounts. We were consistently given great training and support, and this learning continued to be encouraged, especially for those wishing to progress up the ladder.

Cons

Really intense, fast-paced work environment sometimes. The clientele can be stressful at times, and you have to learn to build a thick skin and keep a smile on your face -- while this is a great lesson in how to keep calm and problem solve, sometimes it just feels like abuse. That said, you do get some great regulars and have the opportunity to forge some real connections with people. Sometimes store goals were just overwhelming and prevented us from really focusing on people and creating an experience, especially around holidays.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "I have worked at starbucks as a barista for four years in multiple locations."

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 30% discount
    - free drink 30 mins. before and 30 mins. after (and unlimited drinks during) your shift.
    - health benefits
    - some managers deviate from availability, but most try to get to schedule you for the days/hours you ask for.
    - it is easy to transfer to other locations
    - free markout every week (one pound of coffee/tea/VIA)
    - coffee knowledge

Cons

- know that it takes a good three months (sometimes longer) to memorize the recipes and get down the routines
    -depending on the location, your hours can vary. Managers often cut shifts if labor is over, or if business is slow. However, if you work at a busy/high-volume location, this is not often a problem.

"Employees and Store Manager alike went home in tears daily"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount on food, amazingly affordable medical benefits even for the bottom tier employees

Cons

Corporate management is insane, stores that are too busy to do any good back of house cleaning are punished by having cleaning hours reduced since we 'obviously weren't using them', starbucks claims to have this amazing new-age corporate 'soul and responsibility', but is perhaps one of the worst corporate-apathy offenders out there

Advice to Management

So I'm going to share the story of the moment I realized I was quitting, (and an amazing sense of calm and joy overtook me.) So, Starbucks has a private health/cleanliness inspection service called QASA, (Quality Assurance Self-Assessment), who show up and will deduct points from your health score for having dust in the ceiling vent in your bathroom, or two small splatter marks on a ceiling tile. While yourself, your co-workers, and your store manager are desperately trying to satisfy the unending line of customers that pump through your store daily, the district manager will show up and belittle you for not having a cleaner store when you've been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off all day working the counter. So the day I realized I was quitting after 3 years was when we had a line out the door, two employees had called in sick, (it was winter and something had been going around), and our store manager was on the espresso machines helping us, the district manager and QASA show up, look around our store, and then pull our store manager off the machines while we still have a line out the door, make her get up on a ladder, and have her scrub two little itty bitty coffee splatters off a ceiling tile over the blenders....in front of all our customers. I loved our store manager and all our supervisors dearly, but the corporate office is impossible to deal with. They belittle you, set unrealistic goals, and then 'punish' underperforming stores by taking away employee hours when that is what these stores need more of to improve! Dilbert-ness at it's finest. The health insurance for $45 a month was amazing, but I got so sick from the stress of the actual job itself that I realized I'd rather pay $200 a month for insurance than ever set foot inside a starbucks again. I cried with joy the day I left.