Starbucks - Good job for a student, iffy for long-term career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Good job for a student, iffy for long-term career"

Current Employee - Barista in Palmdale, CA
Current Employee - Barista in Palmdale, CA

Pros

Lots of perks. Free pound of coffee a week, free drinks, 30% off retail (more during holiday season). Fun environment, for the most part. Competitive pay, for being a retail job

Cons

Not much emphasis on career development. Pay raises are based almost entirely off of seniority, as opposed to merit. Very strange hours sometimes.

Advice to Management

Better communication and more emphasis on career development

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "it's only coffee people"

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Denver, CO

Pros

Lots of free coffee, able to work at different stores in your area, regulars can be the highlight of your day=sometimes I feel like I'm actually a partender!

Cons

incompetebt management, lots of gossip and drama, not a professional atmosphere, non-existant training, disrespect for fellow baristas runs rampant, little to no support, strange hours make it difficult to maintain any kind of regular schedule and often result in low morale

Advice to Management

My manager, from the litle I've seen of him since I began, usually sits in the back, on the phone and complains about the store. The most senior partner (besides management) has been there three months. Constructive criticism is all but non-existant.

2. "Good for college"

Former Employee - Barista in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Barista in Portland, OR

Pros

It's one of the more fun jobs I had in college. Free drinks when times are slow makes it pretty fun. The pay is quite good considering how basic the job is. Tips add a significant amount to your pay.

Cons

Putting on your overly happy face all the time can be tiring. Some customers need to be brought down to earth. Employees can be flaky and a pain in the ass, but the opposite is also true.

Advice to Management

All seemed well when I was there. It's quite a good place to work for college kids. I would go back if I needed a simple job, but I couldn't stay too long.