Starbucks - No opportunities, cost of living raises, or promotions at SSC | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"No opportunities, cost of living raises, or promotions at SSC"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Central location is easy to find with many commuting options to ferry, busses, trains and a large parking garage and parking lot with shuttle bus.

Cons

Salary not adjusted for inflation. No promotions anymore, only new hires get upper positions. High turnover, too many SSC people are quitting. We are told that training dollars are available but are not approved to use them even when the class is completely in line with job or project. Then we are yelled at for not taking any training. Standard policy to give 70% of partners an across the board " meets expectations" in spite of actual performance. The 70% get a 1% pay raise (note, it is always less than inflation so your effective salary drops every year). Mgrs make up the remaining higher ratings and pay raises and they get bonuses.

Advice to Management

Adjust salaries for inflation (we make less money every year). Bring back promotions - quit giving position to new hires that should be promotions for existing partners. Stop the "if you don't like it here then quit" attitude and try to find a way to keep people. Rate people on performance not a schedule. Give bonuses to everyone (even baristas). No ratings raise should be less than inflation.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

"Soon there will be suicide nets outside the windows..."

Former Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun when well staffed, easy, mindless work, benefits to part time employees.

Cons

Tremendous disorganization, CEO makes $27.5 million a year, we get minimum wage and shorted on labor, managers still have to play barista while juggling store management duties, improperly equipped- Starbucks developed playbook, a system of routines to maximize work efficiency, but by also taking every ounce of fun and personalization out of it, and instead of utilizing technology to make things easier we get plastic cubes (literally).

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy, because it's so obvious i dont know how you could even try to cover it up.... Over three years with the company and you see how it exponentially transforms into a McDonald's (obsessed with transaction times versus customer satisfaction and drink quality.... Why? We were fast enough before and our customers liked us better.)

2. "A little too big for their britches"

Former Employee - Store Development in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Development in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

coffee discount perks (no pun intended), brand awareness, try to walk the walk they talk which is difficult with the size of the company. innovative and inspiring. it was cool working at the SSC, there were a lot of big wigs that we got to see and hear.

Cons

I believe that the company is starting to get back to what they were. Let go some really tremendous talent during the huge layoffs in 2009. Just because labor was cheaper to hire does not mean it was the right thing to do.

Advice to Management

When I was there people were promoted instead of let go...never made sense to me. My last manager (who is still there) cannot manage people at all. The whole team that is left does not get why they are still in management.