Starbucks - Great company but going through growing pains. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Great company but going through growing pains."

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are amazing, passionate about coffee and genuine. The brand is strong and unique, nothing like it. Howard Schultz, is a visionary and inspirational leader. Not typical to have the founder to be present and involved at a Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Very top heavy organization. Decision-making only at the president level. Very hierarchical and political. Focused too much on career or school pedigree and not on potential in employees.

Advice to Management

Need to trust middle management, provide more responsibility, hire more junior people, and bring back entrepreneurial culture.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Great COMPANY, terrible management DEPENDING"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly tips, great benefits, free pound of coffee a week, free drinks on breaks, if you love coffee here it is!

Cons

Long hours, this job will become your life if you are a Supervisor or up and don't stop it, store managers can sometimes be terrible

Advice to Management

PLEASE take a look at the lower ranked stores. Most Partners are too afraid of their Managers too ever file a complaint to Corporate and can end up suffering under terrible work conditions. Many of us actually want to follow Policy but when our Managers refuse to even stick to the rules, it is extremely hard for us to. When anything goes wrong with a DM or RM coming to take a look at the store, managers usually don't take direct blame and put it onto the Supervisors after they leave. Please PLEASE look deeper into your stores.

2. "Great company to work for - though, it still feels some growing pain even though it's a "big company"."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Starbucks has a great culture - and treats people well. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Cons

Big company but is still "growing up". I was there in the early growth years and only left because it was becoming a "big company".

Advice to Management

continue to keep up the culture - it'll always be a "best place to work"