Starbucks - Barista | Glassdoor

"Barista"

Former Employee - Barista
Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work with high mobility and a friendly environment. They offer great benefits to everyone working 20 hours a week or more.

Cons

The pay is very low. You are pretty much guaranteed to work every holiday if your store is open. Taking long holidays during that season to visit family and friends back home is impossible.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Great Company To Work For While In College"

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great benefits

Flexible schedule

Pay is above decent

Great work atmosphere, you will hold on to a lot of people that you worked with in this company. They're great!

Cons

Very fast-paced, specially during peak hours.

Not for the faint of heart, and must be a believer that the customer is always right, no matter what.

They provide training for everything, which is not necessarily a bad thing but you do need your tea & coffee passports completed throughout the year.

2. "Perfect Part-Time Job"

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starbucks has some really great benefits. If you work an average of 20 hrs/week you can receive healthcare benefits at a great cost. I think I paid about $40/paycheck for health, dental and eye insurance. Also, who doesn't love free coffee?? Free drinks while you're working and a free pound of coffee (or tin of tea) every week. The hours can be flexible, so this is a great job for those that want to work part-time or are going to school.

Cons

I know a lot of "morning people", but I think everyone can agree that waking up before 4 a.m. is not cool. I used to be a shift supervisor and would open 3-4 days a week and then close 1 day a week. I understand when managers want to be fair in scheduling, but I don't think every shift should have to open AND close regularly. It really messes with your body.
    I also don't think shifts get paid enough for the work and responsibility they have. This is a reason that I left when I got offered another job. Luckily, when that other job didn't work out, I came back to Starbucks as a barista. I like it much better not being in charge :)

Advice to Management

Try to have some kind of consistent scheduling. I understand things change from week to week, but most people's availability is the same. Consistency will make everyone happy!