Starbucks - Fun place to work at but not a lot of opportunity to grow in the company outside of Seattle. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Fun place to work at but not a lot of opportunity to grow in the company outside of Seattle."

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Newport News, VA
Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working for Starbucks as a barista. I started at Starbucks since I was going to school full-time. The company has great benefits! You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week. I have worked at four different stores and it has always been a great atmosphere and experience from management to the baristas.

Cons

Wages start at minimum wage plus tips. For a high-end coffee shop you would think it would be a bit higher in pay. People are easily paying $4 to $6 for a drink and easily walk out paying $10 to $20 for their coffee and food. Its not McDonald's you know.

Advice to Management

I just finished my degree and live on the East coast. It would be nice to have opportunities in the company other than Seattle. Outside of Seattle there aren't may job choices accept for barista, shift manager, assistant manager and store manager.

Also, why create an atmosphere for the customers to receive their drinks in lightning speed. There is a lot of push on the baristas to make the drinks so fast that the customers expect it and then when they don't receive it, they complain. What ever happened to just doing it in a timely manner. Our society demands "instant satisfaction" so much that nobody takes the time to just be patient. When management/customers push baristas to make these hand-crafted beverages at warp speed, customers are not going to receive a quality drink. For example, because of this"pressure", I have often seen most baristas make a macchiato like a cappuccino.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Employees are happy and so are the customers."

Current Employee - Barista in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not that stressful of an environment... and most managers are easy going... also very easy to move up in the company, if you work hard.

Cons

Inconsistancies and a lot of manager turnovers.

Advice to Management

Communication could be a little better.

2. "A great company that supports its partners."

Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Part time benefits, flexible scheduling, green practices, free coffee! There are many locations nationally and transferring for whatever reason is typically an option. Oh, did I mention free coffee by the pound every week?

Cons

Employees tend to be on the younger side. Raises decided based on merit, but it's a slow advancement by minimal increase. Requires many hours standing and repetitive motions can be a problem.