Starbucks - Great people, but disconnected middle management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Great people, but disconnected middle management"

Former Employee - Store Designer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Store Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, overall ethical company, free coffee

Cons

very top heavy in management; company 'manages up' in that they dont engage those who do the actual work and ask them what they need to do their jobs, lack of resources to do day to day job, lack of transparency in management, no clear direction or overall vision for the company, management by fear doesnt allow for employees to speak their voice, does not empower individual employees, very little room to move up in company, many director levels and above have such huge egos that this really effects the day to day business, pay isnt competitive in Seattle

Advice to Management

You need to re-evaluate the amount of director/vp heads you have and re-allocate those resources to those doing the actual work. Put qualified people in positions of leadership. Develop a stronger corporate culture and establish ways of doing business (look to Amazon on this one), compensate employees better (Starbucks is at the bottom of compensation for companies in Seattle). Have better HR department (issues of sexual harassment went un-resolved do to upper management not wanting to admit they made bad hiring decisions).

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, great full package benefits, 401k stocks health ins

Cons

Upper management, DM that are unfriendly

Advice to Management

Look into SM complaints about DM's

2. "Barista Blues"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Albany, NY

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on great products
    Great co-workers 90% of the time

Cons

Pay is really bad. It takes AGES to get to any decent salary, even for those of us with extensive experience in both food services and retail. I was not utilized within a 10th of my 20+ years of experience. They hired a new store manager from the outside who was so intimidated by the knowledge that was required for all employees (which is extensive) that she got flustered when I called out sick for 2 days with a horrendous back pain, (the counters are not conducive to good movement and stamina for people under 5'7". I am 5'5". ) So she blew up out of stress from the job and said I could come into work until I had to get a note from a doctor. I didn't have the insurance yet to go to a doctor. No one would see me without getting a complete physical and spending $200+ for that...which I obviously didn't have. 5 months later I got a call from the same store asking if I was available for shifts and the same salary of $7.95 p/hr. No apology for "mis-information" on policy etc... 1 month after I had originally started with them they had a very poorly organized manager in another location. 3 boxes of product came crashing down on my head. Their idea of apology was a pin and a mug.

Advice to Management

Get real about what you brag about when it comes to being a great company to work for - you're not. Hire management from with in as much as you can.