Starbucks - Great people, but disconnected middle management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Great people, but disconnected middle management"

Former Employee - Store Designer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Store Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, overall ethical company, free coffee

Cons

very top heavy in management; company 'manages up' in that they dont engage those who do the actual work and ask them what they need to do their jobs, lack of resources to do day to day job, lack of transparency in management, no clear direction or overall vision for the company, management by fear doesnt allow for employees to speak their voice, does not empower individual employees, very little room to move up in company, many director levels and above have such huge egos that this really effects the day to day business, pay isnt competitive in Seattle

Advice to Management

You need to re-evaluate the amount of director/vp heads you have and re-allocate those resources to those doing the actual work. Put qualified people in positions of leadership. Develop a stronger corporate culture and establish ways of doing business (look to Amazon on this one), compensate employees better (Starbucks is at the bottom of compensation for companies in Seattle). Have better HR department (issues of sexual harassment went un-resolved do to upper management not wanting to admit they made bad hiring decisions).

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "If it weren't for the pay and the hours, this job would be quite enjoyable."

Current Employee - Barista in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Barista in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a student, this is a good position with a flexible schedule and great benefits. There are great opportunities to develop quality connections and network with customers.

Cons

Even with tips, the low pay really makes it difficult to make ends meet. This job cannot be relied upon as primary income as scheduled hours are often cut.

2. "I would go back"

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've met some of the best people I know through this company. You have opportunities to grow within and to network with customers. The benefits are fantastic.

Cons

I don't really have any. If you don't mind working in a fast passed environment, this is a great job.