Starbucks - It was fun, but not worth the effort with the crap pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"It was fun, but not worth the effort with the crap pay"

Current Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are super nice, free coffee

Cons

Everything else, schedules dont go up until 3 days before the start of the week

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap with the pay, being a barista is one of the most stressful things ive ever done

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Barista in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing company, all about team work and keeping you happy, really care about employees and awesome benefits, super flexible and customers just love and appreciate us. best place to work hands down

Cons

none honestly havent had a bad experience yet and i dont plan to

Advice to Management

keep up the great work you really know how to run a business

2. "Challenging as a Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Starbucks offers great benefits, and as a Store Manager you can basically choose the hours you work. I started as a Barista, so growing with the company was easy. Regular customers and my awesome staff kept me coming in to work everyday, but there is constant gossip, infighting, and politics. Shifts are allowed to fraternize with Baristas outside of the store, which can result in problematic favoritism.

Cons

After over 6.5 years of employment, I've watched the company go from a culture and ethics based company to one solely focused on earnings, speed of service, and adherence to arbitrary policies that can change by region or district. We used to be able to have visible tattoos and piercings--external expressions of self--but now there is a very strict dress code and lack of adherence can cost even a tenured Store Manager their job.

As a Manager, you will be expected to work at least five hours/week overtime, often six days/week, and at least 50 hours/week during the holiday season. There is a vacation freeze from Nov 1 - Jan 1 for all management, but if you don't prefer to take time around the holidays (like me), that's not a problem. The company is constantly changing, and it is very challenging to keep up at the store level. Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience.

Those hired externally (at the Store Manager position or above) generally leave within 12-18 months of employment. They receive very limited training in the six-eight week RMT (Retail Management Training) program and, depending on their District Manager, are generally left alone to sink or swim thereafter.

Advice to Management

Invest in the stores. In-store partners are alienated from corporate management, and corporate management is out of touch with in-store realities. Partners are overworked through training freezes and often don't receive adequate training due to time constraints imposed by leadership. We are moving away from the culture and values that made Starbucks a unique company to work for years ago.