Starwood Hotels & Resorts - My experience at Starwood Hotels & Resorts was something I wish I could erase. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

"My experience at Starwood Hotels & Resorts was something I wish I could erase."

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Fall River, MA
Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Fall River, MA

Pros

The best reason to work at Starwood was that I was able to work at home and the hotels gave out a discount.

Cons

Although they give out discounts to their hotels they do not give enough vacation time to use it. They set your schedule and never allow you to change it. They have spies call you and test you, and entrap you, then report you as doing something wrong. You sit at your computer all day and answer one call after another without a break in between calls. They are not honest to customers so there are many people calling to complain. People disappear there all the time because they get fired without a second chance. Very big turnover without much care about how they treat people.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance. Appreciate a hard worker and stop discarding employees without caring about them. A more experienced person would be better to keep than training a whole new person.

Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

"Great team of people to work with. No support from 'boys club' management!"

Current Employee - Banquet Server in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in Seattle, WA

Pros

Wonderful diverse customer oriented staff. The hot rate hotel stays rock! Most people you work with really know what they are doing and are supportive and good at hospitality. I've made great friends!

Cons

Little room for advancement unless you are handpicked, a suck up and fit their 'formula'.

HR is not there for the employees; just there to protect management.

Unscheduled lengthy hours and hard work with no break are not even acknowledged just expected.

My biggest pet peeve is the intimidation factor by those in senior banquet management and the general lack of basic hospitality knowledge from that department. Not given the basic tools to do the job and not supported in general.

Advice to Management

Just because you are in a leadership position does not mean you are 'above' others. It is a position of responsibility not to be abused in tyrannical fashion and shouldn't be a 9 to 5 job when big conventions/parties are in town and your presence is needed.

2. "Overall, a great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Pay compared to surrounding hotel companies in city

Cons

Job does not allow for a good balance between professional and personal time.