Starwood Hotels & Resorts - Not a bad place to work... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

"Not a bad place to work..."

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Orlando, FL

Pros

Cheap hotel stays make this job great. Employees are offered the chance to get rooms at $29/$49/$89 at every Starwood hotel, which makes it great if you like to travel. Most of the employees are very friendly as well.

Cons

Since the economic downturn, senior management has chosen some "interesting" ways to cope involving mass layoffs that have been fostering a culture of fear. The impression is that if you don't work a 12 hourr day, you're are next on the chopping block.

Advice to Management

I understand that cost-cutting is necessary, but explanation and logic as opposed to secrecy and randomness would make Starwood Vacation Ownership a great place to work again.

Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

"Great properties, corporate management needs work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great properties in a cool industry. Pay seems reasonable. Field people are great, from the regional folks to the properties.

Cons

Corporate office folks can be pretty divorced from the challenges of the properties and work far less while expecting far more of the field. Phoenix corp office is very cliquish with the female associates running the show and looking out for each other to an inappropriate degree. Senior management doesn't seem to be on the same page and somewhat disengaged.

Advice to Management

You continue to churn corporate management without making any headway. Get a grip and run a hotel company!

2. "Starwood = Wonderful. Joule hotel = NOT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

I was very proud to have taken a job at the Joule Hotel, one of the best hotels in the prestigious starwood collection. I found, however, that management (at this property, i cannot speak for others) is practically nonexistent and doesnt seem to care about anything. They are all very nice, fun, young, easygoing people, but that doesn't get the job done. I was forced to work overnights eve though I was told that would not be a part of the job. After a month and a half, I was terminated because of a techniality, was told that "we like you very much, but we cannot allow this precident to be set." for the record, I was sitting down to cool off in an unoccupied guest room. a no-no I'm sure, but I was not even allowed a write up when I had no previous disiplinary history, verbal or otherwise. Very dissappointing and sad. I really wanted to work for starwood, even if the hotel was run as if by absent minded freshmen.

Cons

Pros and cons both listed above. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Advice to Management

No advice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .