Starwood Hotels & Resorts - Brand Manager | Glassdoor

"Brand Manager"

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Brand Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People and good energy at work. They serve free food everyday for all talent members. You have the opportunity to be creative in workplace when solving customer needs or problems.

Cons

The parking not good unless you have garage access. Its downtown, so traffic is not the best in the morning and rushes of the day.

Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

1. "Westin Hotel in Round Rock"

Former Employee - Sound Tech in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Sound Tech in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, on the job training, some great employees in hospitality. Also nice perks regarding meals and the occasional hotel room reservation.

Cons

Low part-time pay, no security, seasonal hours, etc. Some of the management were true company men, ready to tell whatever story helped their career advancement versus supporting colleagues.

2. "Guest Services"

Former Employee - Guest Services in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some employees were nice, most were not.

Cons

I worked at the Portsmouth Sheraton recently and can honestly say this was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. When I began working here they told me I would not have to work nights, that many weekends, and would get a hotel discount right away. This place promised me so many things, and never EVER delivered them. I started at $10 hrly, which was a much lower pay than I was use to, but none the less took the job due needing something. They told me I would have to work some weekends, which I was fine with, and that I would not have to work nights. First off they not only made me work nights until 11:00-11:30 some nights, but they knew I lived an hour away and would schedule me to be back in at 7am!!!! Not only did I not even get five hours in between my shifts, they acted like it was a completely normal thing because everyone there did it. I can understand if I was on salary or was making a significant amount more hourly, but to request this of your employees three or more times a week is outrageous. I brought it to their attention, but little was done. Second, those weekends I was told I had to work, turned into EVERY weekend. I never had one weekend day off , besides the one I had requested the day I started working for a trip I had planed months in advance.

Some of the staff here was nice. Others were constantly in horrible moods, probably due to the complete under-staffing this place had. I luckily found another job, and gave my two weeks notice here. As soon as I gave my notice, I was treated like complete CRAP. I was given horrible hours, and was given attitude about everything, and was made to feel bad about leaving due to the fact that they had already trained me. I told them I was sorry, but my managers were obviously no pleased with me.

Finally it was my last scheduled day, and I was unable to come in due to the fact that I was purchasing a new car ( my car at the time was barely running and had to be replaced before I started my new job that following Monday). I tried to email my boss hours in advance, but my email did not get through to her ( I was not aware that this happened until much later). I should have called in and this is the only regret I do have of my time working there, but due to the incredibly laughable pay I choose to take care of something much more important to me than the 60 dollars I would have made working. I knew this would be very upsetting to my boss, but I had NO IDEA of what was to come.

When I went in a week later to pick up my last check. I walked up to the front desk, and every person whom I had worked with previously was incredibly rude, gave me dirty looks, and wanted nothing to do with me. OK that's fine, I thought, I just wanted to pick up my check and go, but NO I was told my ex-manager would like to speak with me ( and she was holding-my check so I had no choice in the matter). I was brought into a small office with two of my ex-managers, and was immediately berated, and basically talked to like a five year old. I was told I was completely unprofessional, they would never let me work at any Starwood hotel again, and would never be able to give me a reference ( even though one of my managers said I picked up training the best he's ever seen). This was fine and I understood why they would be mad, but to belittle my whole time working there ( where I never ONCE called out) was very disheartening for me. I put in a lot of effort, when above and beyond for these ungrateful people, and as soon as I was no longer an employee I was made to feel like I was a piece of trash. I may have been unprofessional by not finishing my last day there, but I will tell you this: If you are going to under-staff your department to the point where you count so heavily on the people who you are paying close to minimum wage, work them with barely five hours in between shifts, only give them lunch breaks when its convenient for them, then expect them to make work their number one priority you are in for a rude awakening.

Lastly, the thing that bothered me the most above all else was while I was working my last two weeks one of my ex-managers asked me if " two dollars more an hour would make a difference in staying" not only was I appalled by this because to me it was basically saying " we could have paid you this much from the beginning but choose not to" but also what about all the other employees who had worked their longer than me who were only making 10 hrly? how would they feel if I accepted that? This really turned me off, and verified that I was making the right choice in leaving,

Advice to Management

Treat people who work for you with more value. Know that if you pay them minimally, and over work them, you are not going to keep employees for very long.